starter motor

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Blooper
80-90 Mem No: 0

starter motor

Post by Blooper »

hello
i have a t25 with a subaru EA82 engine fitted.
When we picked it up it had a starter motor problem which we tracked down to a sheered shaft where it goes into the bush in the bell housing.

being naive i replaced the bush and fitted a new t25 starter, it cured the problem and we had a few weeks of good starting.
but now it has done exactly the same thing again, so obviously we have a problem some where.

i think the starter is side loading when it engages the flywheel.
would fitting a type 2 starter cure the problem or what would.
help as i am out of my depth now.

thank you.
Tony.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: starter motor

Post by CovKid »

Think this belongs in 'alternative engines'
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

Tony

we need to know how your engine is installed, it sounds like it's maybe installed using an adapter plate and theVW petrol bellhousing, if adapter plate who's plate and flywheel is it ? I've seen several adapter plate installations from a certain UK installer and the plate is not accurately made and the dowelling between the various elements, engine, plate and gearbox isn't robust enough which leads to allignment issues and thus issues like you are experiencing

It'salso possible that the flywheel isn't correctly installed or that it has started to work loose

the only plate and flywheel package I could recommend is that from Kennedy Enterprises in the states

I would use the RJES bellhousing as that is perfect and uses the subaru starter and the original subaru flywheel

Blooper

Post by Blooper »

i bought it with the engine installed.
looks to have the original vw bell housing, with a home made adapter ring.
so i am a bit stuck. :( :( :(

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

cheap borescope in through the starter motor hole to see what is going on or box out then if you are sure that the issue isn't with the starter motors themselves but the words 'home made adapter plate' doesn't inspire confidence, there's a reason that good conversions cost proper money and that's the cost of doing the product development and ironing out the bugs rather than using the customer as the r and d department
I take it the previous owner doesn't want to get involved ?

Blooper

Post by Blooper »

the previous owner has sadly passed away :(

oh well i will have to rip it all out and start again then.

sugar. :( :(

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

I think you can get "hi-torque" starter motors for the DG engines that don't use the bush?

Otherwise need to get engine and gearbox out of the van and check how things line up.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine