Subaru ecu placement and cable routing

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Subaru ecu placement and cable routing

Post by mshaw1980 »

Hello

I have now got my engine bolted in but I now am wondering where to route and put the Subaru ecu? Want to do this only once so I don't have to move it for things going in the van such as a rock n roll bed, heater etc

Any suggestions please?

1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Subaru ecu placement and cable routing

Post by Aidan »

most people put it above the engine bay in the bottom of the wardrobe or under a raised rear bed base where it can be accessed if required and suitably protected from the elements and from one's tat
the other choice would be to put it in the same place as the late 2.1 MV which is under the rear seat on the flat on the slope on the left hand side but that means running the loom along the chassis where the front to back loom runs and through the body so you want it all nice and protected as it's quite a damp area and you need a bit of care grommeting the route through the body- the MV loom has a mega double wall grommet, I don't think the grommet is still available though you'd have to check on the parts catalogue
it does depend a bit which engine and donor vehicle and thus loom shape and interior makeup as to what works best
mines a pickup so ecu is in weather proof box on the 'shelf' above and in front of the engine

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Re: Subaru ecu placement and cable routing

Post by mshaw1980 »

Thanks Aidan

Thats very helpful
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)