Water leak driver side in floor of cupboard under the sink.

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

SThompers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Water leak driver side in floor of cupboard under the sink.

Post by SThompers »

Hello
I'm new to this forum and have been reading lots of helpful posts.
I have a beautiful 1986 T25 transporter called Betty who is taking in water.
The floor of the cupboard under the sink is soaking wet and I'm unable to find the source of the leak.
I am wondering if it is the sliding window panel which runs along same side by the sink.
The carpet in the cupboard is soaking and the wood at the back of the cupboard is seeping up water from the carpet.I was planning on putting her into storage for winter months but now need to sort this first.
Anyone ever come across similar or have any advice?
Also wonder if it's the sink drainage pipe. But I can check this more easily.
Thanks
Sthompers.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: Water leak driver side in floor of cupboard under the sink.

Post by lloydy »

Start with the easy things to check, fill the sink with water, open cupboard underneath, pull the plug and look for leaks .
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

SThompers

Post by SThompers »

Thanks. Yes I'm planning on doing this in the morning. Really hoping it's the sink as that seems easier to fix.I haven't really been using the sink to warrant the amount soaked in already but we'll see.
Thanks for your reply.

dumbo
80-90 Mem No: 10625

Post by dumbo »

its the window/seal get a watering can on it and watch :wink:

simon
1986 DG WBX AUTOHOMES kamper

SThompers

Post by SThompers »

Well it wasn't the sink so I'm presuming it's the window seal. I have had to do a big job in pulling up the carpet from the floor of the cupboard as it was totally soaked and the ply word at back of cupboard is also very wet all the way along the back of the unit. I've a dehumidifier in now and have put her into dry storage for now. Will have to replace seal and have sourced one already. I just hope she drys out ok and that I won't have to pull out unit. I really don't want to have to do that. Poor Betty!

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Sorry to say this, but you have to consider the rust that may have started in the join between side and floor etc. If you leave the units in place and just hope for the best, you may be asking for trouble in the future. If the van is a "keeper" then you might be better removing the unit, drying it out properly with lots of heat, and checking the condition, using some Vactan if it's only minor surface rust. Mind you, i do of course hope for your sake that nothing dire has begun to occur ;)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

SThompers

Post by SThompers »

Thank you for the advice and I will take it and remove the unit to fully assess the damage. She is definitely a keeper and she is in really good nick so I want to look after her well. I've enlisted some help to get the unit out and dry out everything and hope there is minimal damage to the shell of the van. So far the dehumidifier has been removing a lot of water.
I might be back looking for advice again.
By any chance is there a standard blue print of the unit or how to remove it? Some advice with that would be very helpful.
Thanks again.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

post up some decent pickies of the sill/side panal seam and around the windows on that side
mm