An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Wychall
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 9841

Re: Headlights

Post by Wychall »

CJH wrote:
marlinowner wrote:Not sure how the four light setup would look with original inner lights and modern outers.

Here you go. This is my aftermarket four light grille, with angel eye outers and the original inners that came with the grille.

OK that clinches it. I'll order a pair of the crystals and see how they fair with my standard wiring. A quick voltage check when the lights are on should clear up whether the wiring is sufficient.
I believe inner main beam crystals are available for the Golf so perhaps a pair of those as well.
South African 1991 2.5i Microbus - now sadly rehomed to pay for a Melco EMT16X Embroidery Machine.

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Brian, please forgive the interjection but may I suggest you do some basic checks such as the state of your earths and H4 terminals ? Also be aware that there's a lot of dubious quality non E-coded light fittings on the UK market. If the reflectors on your existing Hella units are OK you're not going to gain anything by changing them. You'd be better off to minimise voltage-drop at the bulbs before anything else. 2.5mm wires to each filament should be fine, but have a look at the earth side which is often wanting. Last year I removed and upgraded front harness, the main changes were:

Renew all the H4 terminals (I got the proper crimp terminals from Wurth)
Provide a separate earth wire for each filament
Changed the front harness earths from the earth crowns to 6mm studs

(I'd previousy added relays on top of the plate, VW-style keeping the normal fuses)

Removing the harness is quite straightforward, and the easiest way to do repairs and upgrades. My headlights are now excellent.

Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I'll politely disagree with you that you won't gain anything by changing reflectors. I've done it, so has CJH and others. Without doubt the cut-off is more defined and light emitted both brighter and more focused than Hella ones which are vague at best. Its almost a comparison between night and day. However, you're right on ensuring that all earths and connections are good throughout.

I should add, I've fitted and tested the following in the last year and worked with the supplier to establish which works best:

ECP cheap lucas lamps - ok but not defined (as you'd expect from a torch reflector) - notable stray light in places
New Hella units - again ok but still vague (as you'd expect from a torch reflector) - better but notable stray light in places
angel eyes (dedicated computer-designed reflectors) - clean, bright and defined pattern.
DRL units (which I stuck with) - clean, bright and very defined pattern over correct distance on road. Also dedicated reflectors.

What I did find was that Hella style units with plain reflectors and glass lenses are highly dependent on bulb position within the housing compared to units with properly designed reflectors, all of which plays a large part in focusing.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

syncroandy
Trader

Post by syncroandy »

The lens' fresnel pattern in the Hella lamps takes care of the beam, the other ones pictured in this thread the lens is clear and the reflector is shaped to form the beam pattern. I don't see why one should necessarily be better than the other, personally I'd rather go with stock, legal, E-coded parts that preserve the originality of the vehicle. The fact that the Hella units were fitted literally in their millions to so many vehicle models does give me some confidence that the design isn't too bad. However for those reading this thread wishing to consider alternatives it'd be helpful if manufacturers/part numbers were quoted.
Syncrosport

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

syncroandy wrote:However for those reading this thread wishing to consider alternatives it'd be helpful if manufacturers/part numbers were quoted.

I bought mine from here. The same seller has a few different ones that should fit - I think Covkid may have bought his DRL lamps from the same seller. They need a bezel or clips to hold them in place - I used a pair of Land Rover Defender bezels which I modified a bit (see here). Ooh - just had a thought - something else I could powder coat :rofl

Mine have now been through an MOT without comment - the tester only wanted to see that the beam pattern was OK and that they were adjusted correctly - he wasn't interested in the (lack of an) E mark.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Might have contact you sometime about a front loom Andy... :D will be refurbing the heater box over the winter, would be a good time to do it.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

syncroandy
Trader

Post by syncroandy »

Cheers Lloyd, it could be done anytime really, so long as the plate can be dropped down a few inches so the front harness can be unplugged. I guess access is a bit trickier on LHD though.
Syncrosport

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Sure, the Hella units were used for a long time (even on bugs). Great lights for what they are. However, things have also moved on considerably since then. You only have to look at any modern car to see that. Its reasonable to be sceptical which is why I did so much testing before committing myself to upgrading, both on the bench and on the vehicle. The modern ones are definately better. I did consider videoing the tests but felt it was a bit too anorak for most, plus it would have got in the way of what I was doing.

I was unable to get a sharp enough image with Hellas although the pattern 'looked' acceptable. The cut-off points (ie from light to dark) was and is pin-sharp on both the angel eye and DRL units. All I can do is pass on what I found after four sets of lights and checks against the prescribed pattern for dipped headlights which are very precise. I must have gone through a whole packet of chalk. There is no compulsion on anyone to accept the above, nor any compulsion on my part to pass on my findings to anyone else - but I have, freely.

The e-marked ones definately conform to UK/EU regs and are widely used by land rover owners. CJH will no doubt agree on the improvement over Hellas, and as I mentioned, I'm only using stock bulbs.

Chris's point about e-marked and MOT tests is also correct. Providing a non e-marked unit passes the headlight aim test, they will accept it. I have in the past had headlights adjusted by garages only to find them way too high and subsequently had to bring them back down. Bit annoying when you've paid for it. Those with any concerns can choose only e-marked. There are several to choose from. Yes, mine came from same supplier as CJH and they were incredibly helpful, even going to the trouble of having adapters made for me to try. I settled on my own solution but was grateful for the lengths they went to.

Finally, for the bezel (and Chris has experienced this) the three screw holes need to be equally spaced (ie equilateral triangle). These are commonly fitted in the US where lucas-style fitments are more common than europe fittings. If you remove a T25 headlamp, you can see the three lucas indents, even though they are unused over here. Clearly they were designed for two markets. I discovered that three cable ties would do the job very well - all covered extensively in other thread.

Their full range can be found here: http://www.powerfuluk.com/itemlist.html ... +headlight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - some with or without sidelight fittings, depending on what you intend to do. Most are under £30 a pair.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

syncroandy wrote:Cheers Lloyd, it could be done anytime really, so long as the plate can be dropped down a few inches so the front harness can be unplugged. I guess access is a bit trickier on LHD though.
thanks, ill give you a bell in the next few weeks and arrange something :ok
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

keytouch
80-90 Mem No: 4484

Post by keytouch »

The same supplier sells plain ones, which are e marked.
And Brickwerks sells the correct bezels, which (AFAIK) were developed for the American market by Hella.
Jonathan

A Camper called Wanda
1983 A reg Bilbo Marlfield conversion, 1900 Diesel 1Y engine

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

£27.14 each - or cable ties, or clips. You don't actually see the fittings once grill is on though. As Keytouch says, the basic lamp holder with light removed, is designed to accept EU or US headlights, the only difference being the use of a bezel in US market. You can adapt (as Chris has done) a non-standard bezel which are fairly cheap, to do same job but not everyone has the will or the time to do that. The main thing is not to interfere with the movement of headlamp adjustment screws, whichever fixing solution you opt for.

I will not be going back to Hellas thats for sure.

Heres the 'clip' method: http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/VW ... Headlights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; although I was starting to feel I might be over-engineering things for the sake of three cable ties which is what I have now.

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

Wychall wrote: I believe inner main beam crystals are available for the Golf so perhaps a pair of those as well.

There have been a couple of threads on here about finding alternatives for the inners, and I don't recall seeing anyone finding a direct replacement. Some lamps seem to be the same size but have a different configuration of adjusters. Unlike the outers, that have an adjuster ring that the new lamps can be fixed to, the inners use adjusters that clip to brackets on the lamps, so if the brackets are in the wrong place then fitting them seems more difficult. It would be nice to find something that would work though - particularly something with matching angel eyes that could be wired into the side lights, or maybe something brighter to use as DRLs. I doubt I'll be investigating until my originals need replacing though.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

petethefeet
80-90 Mem No: 12639

Post by petethefeet »

Hi All,
Can I jump in for a bit of advice??
I am running the upgrade cable (16 mm) from the battery to the fuse box; what do people do with the old cable? I was a bit reluctant to just cut it off and I don't think I can pull it out of the loom.
For info I have the old ceramic fuse box (1982)

Many thanks
1982 2 litre CU Auto Devon Moonraker called Brian

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Keep the old cable. Just transfer heavy stuff like headlights, blower, fan, from existing fusebox to new cable. Its simple if you do one at a time and either fit inline fuses or a small supplementary fusebox. You'll then have spare fuse slots in your original fusebox for all those extras you add to the dash. You could connect the new cable to existing fusebox but I found it was harder to do that than run from new junction box with inline fuses.
Last edited by CovKid on 09 Nov 2015, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Post by axeman »

another solution.

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=147701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van