How to chenge rocker cover gaskets?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mike9009
80-90 Mem No: 0

How to chenge rocker cover gaskets?

Post by mike9009 »

Hi

I have been told the slight oil leak I have is coming from the rocker cover gaskets. Are there any on-line guides to do this job (I couldn't find any... :( )?

I was told about using silicone on one side of the gasket to make the seal better and let this dry over night before installing. It sounds like a relatively easy job which I reckon with my 'limited' skills I could tackle? I would like to seek advice before tackling this job (a video would be handy!)...

Just looking for the best, most reliable method....

Oh ...... I have a 2.0 CU engine.

TIA :ok

Mike

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: How to chenge rocker cover gaskets?

Post by silverbullet »

Silicone is for bathrooms! Use a mallet to clump the clip down (one firm blow in the middle, oil the pivots in advance if they look particularly rusty), gently prise to cover off (if leaking it should come away easily)
Move the clip so it is above the rocker gear (ready to knock down again)
Remove all traces of the old rubberized cork seal from both cover and cylinder head, perch the new one in the recess on the cover (make sure it isn't distorted or it will need gluing on with Reinzosil or Dirko) offer up and bring the clip down.
Another firm clump with the mallet and the clip will snap into place.
Job done.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Slightly disagree on the method here, clip at bottom and prised upwards to refit. Agree absolutely on the NO SILICONE rule! Dry cork should be all you need.
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

I think its telling that the OP makes reference to lack of an online tutorial for this simplest of jobs.
Is this where its all heading?

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

silverbullet wrote:I think its telling that the OP makes reference to lack of an online tutorial for this simplest of jobs.
Is this where its all heading?

You were not born with motor mechanic skills, we all had to learn once but you were lucky enough to learn when far more people were experienced, try finding anybody to ask these days other than forums?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Learning from others....

Got a know it all 18 year old working on the farm this year who genuinely believes he can tackle anything as long as he can access the net, mostly youtube. Gave him the task of changing the oil on a Caterpillar Challenger, of course he's done loads of them :roll:

My colleague checked the level afterwards and oil pissed out of the dipstick tube - he'd filled it to the brim!!!

What can you say? At least the OP is asking for assistance rather than cocking it up with ignorance and arrogance.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

There's these things called books. Made from paper, with words and pictures printed on the pages inside. Haynes do one that is for these vans, and some of it is correct!

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Thin smear of oil on the new gaskets is all thats needed and recommended by VW. The old ones generally bake on and have to be prised off. Clips should be in good fettle - ie hard to clip in place (if not buy new clips). As long as cover isn't distorted, gaskets are carefully located and clips strong, they will seal fine.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

silverbullet wrote:There's these things called books. Made from paper, with words and pictures printed on the pages inside. Haynes do one that is for these vans, and some of it is correct!

you are always calling it the book of lies so maybe word got around not to trust it :D
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

The trick is knowing the lies from the grains of truth ;)

mike9009
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: How to change rocker cover gaskets?

Post by mike9009 »

Thanks for the helpful replies!

So dry or a small smear of oil?

Sorry for asking some basics, but even then I have three conflicting bits of advise ;) (By the way, I will be using a small smear of oil I reckon, so the question is rhetorical)

I understand it is an easy job - but with previous 'easy' jobs I have managed to mess things up over the years.

(for example, removing the entire dash and steering in my T25 to get at the heater motor (as recommended in the wiki) and finding I don't have a motor (3 hours work to remove as two screws next to the screen were firmly rusted in) :oops: , spending an hour dismantling the van to try to find the fridge isolation switch only to find my Autohomes conversion does not have one despite it being recommended in the manual :oops: )

I waste so much time (and money - anyone fancy a heater motor?) doing stuff that is not needed it frustrates. Hence asking a simple question to save me time and money!

Not really done much engine work on cars or vans, but stripped RD250s for fun in my youth! But I am a have-a-go novice who is a little wiser with age and likes to prepare before tackling a job.

Mike :) :ok

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Nothing wrong with asking, some people have been doing this stuff so long they can't relate to learners, keep asking the questions :ok
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Most leaks develop due to weak clips/springs. Just be mindful that the gasket can move when cover is put on. The thin smear of oil helps it stick in place as well as provide an extra seal. Bugs were always done this way. Hylomar or other sealants should not be used as you run the risk of bits ending up suspended in the oil and potentially blocking oilways.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

centro
80-90 Mem No: 7575

Post by centro »

When removing the rocker cover – should I expect some oil to leak out? enough to warrant the use of an oil pan say ?
http://www.typetwentyfive.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Type 25 Tintop, 1988 Petrol 2.1i

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Re: How to change rocker cover gaskets?

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

For what it is worth: my two cents ...

To remove the rocker box spring I use a length of polyprop twine looped round and pull..

For refitting you should be able to push them into place by hand

Springs looking 'sad'..not smiley.. :wink:

Make sure the van is really level.. you can drain some oil out before hand as a precaution.

The rocker boxes will usually need knocking off with a soft mallet.

If after cleaning you see rust holes or nearly.. then an pair of OE boxes are not dear.

Grease the cover track for the gasket... fit the gasket..(use a good one) work well into place with fingers..offer up ..clip on.. a tap again to seat well..

Being a CU it will almost certainly leak from one or more pushrod tubes.. :roll:

Look to make sure that you have the 'wongly springs' in place holding the pushrod tubes in place..

Cordialement,

:ok

Sent via my VIC 20 with ram pack