Electrolux 212 fridge - gas exhaust venting into van

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Tinium
80-90 Mem No: 12269

Electrolux 212 fridge - gas exhaust venting into van

Post by Tinium »

I've noticed a gas smell from my fridge for a while - had the gas system checked and certified, so no leaks there, but I've stopped using it as the smell persisted. Had a free moment this weekend and decided to have another look, and I've discovered the problem - the T connector on the back of the fridge, above the gas burner, is connected to the exhaust pipe on one side, but completely open on the other - so its venting into the van! :shock:

That can't be right can it, can anyone else with a 212 confirm whether there should be an end cap on there? Also, it looks like the previous owner has replaced the short length of exhaust pipe with a meter long snake going down then up again. I'm guessing that's bad news too? Going to cut that down so that it only flows uphill...

I think I may have words with the company that said the gas was safe. I'd have thought they'd check this kind of thing, rather than just pressure testing the gas pipe :(

Cheers,
Ben.
1987 Syncro EJ25 Leisuredrive Tin-Top Campervan

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: Electrolux 212 fridge - gas exhaust venting into van

Post by ghost123uk »

As far as I know, that adapter thing is supposed to be open at it's lower end. Mine is and always has been and no gas smells from my set up.

Not quite sure about what you say re an extra length of exhaust pipe though. That certainly doesn't sound right. Mine just comes out of the burner and goes directly to the angled "T" piece (open at it's lower end) then straight out through the side of the van to the vent cover (as per your pic).
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

No there shouldn't be a cap there. Exhaust pipe should be as short as possible and angled upwards the whole way, as diagram.
Warm air from the fridge heat exchanger will go to outside through tee-piece and improve draught of chimney.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

Tinium

Post by Tinium »

Thanks chaps, will remove the long hose and either cut down, or find a suitable replacement... and I thought some of the electrical wiring was odd! :D

Margo88
80-90 Mem No: 14797

Post by Margo88 »

Hi, you need to speak with the company that issued your gas safety certificate. I'm a gas safe registered engineer and a proper gas safety inspection includes a lot more than just a pressure test. It should also include checking / function testing of any safety devices. Burner pressure checks and ventilation and flue checks. If I carried out an inspection to this standard I would expect to be struck off the gas safe register!

Tinium

Post by Tinium »

Removed the snake, trimmed to just the right length and ensuring it smoothly goes uphill from fridge to vent, and warm air now coming out the side of the van instantly, and none out the open end of the T. Result! :)

Margo88 wrote:Hi, you need to speak with the company that issued your gas safety certificate.

Good advice, will probably write a letter to their management old-school style and see what they have to say. I did take it in to them specifically mentioning I could smell gas when the fridge was on! :evil: