Fixed ARB awning

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

keytouch
80-90 Mem No: 4484

Re: Fixed ARB awning

Post by keytouch »

Has anyone fitted one of these awnings with a side lifting pop top? I want one but my catches are in the way.
Jonathan

A Camper called Wanda
1983 A reg Bilbo Marlfield conversion, 1900 Diesel 1Y engine

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

keytouch wrote:Has anyone fitted one of these awnings with a side lifting pop top? I want one but my catches are in the way.

I had someone ask me this the other day. The catches on the roof on the conversion you have are in the exact place that any of the fixed awnings sit. I think the only way round it is to move the front catch to the middle and move the rest one over a bit and plug the old holes with white plastic screw caps.

I am yet to get round to using one of the rooms yet because people keep buying them before I get chance to bag one for myself. That said I did sneak out with some friends the other night for a crafty wild camp and the ARB sure did keep the rain off when it chucked it down all night.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

Jawin89
80-90 Mem No: 13200

Post by Jawin89 »

I have exactly the same problem as I have a side lifting pop top roof. I thought about moving the roof catches but the front one is the issue and the only place it could be moved to is the front A pillar and that would look naff. I have played around with the idea of making some brackets that fix inside the pop top and fasten to the roof. They would need to follow the contor of the the roof and then square of in the gutter before coming up outside the roof. They would need to square of in the gutter to allow for sealing and fitting of the roof rubber seal. That could then fixed away from the roof catches. I am going to have a go at these at some point over the winter but if anyone has any other ideas please share.
1989 1.9 WBX pop top

keytouch
80-90 Mem No: 4484

Post by keytouch »

jed the spread wrote: I had someone ask me this the other day.

I think that was probably me.
I was considering the moving of catches, but was also wondering if the arc of the lever would be blocked by the awning itself.
Jonathan

A Camper called Wanda
1983 A reg Bilbo Marlfield conversion, 1900 Diesel 1Y engine

Budgie7
80-90 Mem No: 13816

Post by Budgie7 »

Hi Lloydy,
Pics of the feet of the poles.
ImageImage
2.1 Caravelle Auto

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

thanks for that, appreciated :ok
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Been taking quite a few orders this week from the 4x4 guys. It would seam that all of the cheap ARB awnings on the 4x4 web sites are a bit miss leading as none of them have any stock so the low prices mean nothing. All sales for 2500 x 2500 are being sent our way now by ARB in the UK by the looks of it.

Pesky 4x4 companies, I am sure most of them would sell their mums if they could make a fiver!

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More