Replacement fridge for Electrolux RM182

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

uberjock

Replacement fridge for Electrolux RM182

Post by uberjock »

Apologies if an earlier post covers this, but I'm finally thinking of replacing my original RM182 with a modern fridge unit.

The fridge is part of a Westy fit out of a 1980 Joker.

Any recommendations for a replacement for the RM182 that fits the original dimensions. Open to options on power sources. The original is 3 way.

I'd like to retain the original front, but haven't looked into how this is secured yet, but it would be a shame to lose the Westy look.

many thanks, Paul McGowan.

Cob20
80-90 Mem No: 13976

Re: Replacement fridge for Electrolux RM182

Post by Cob20 »

I'm not too sure on what will replace it. But when you make your decision, can I have first dibs on the fridge!?
1980 2.0l AFC Vanagon Westy

danmetallic
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 11955

Post by danmetallic »

Sounds like you guys need one of these.
http://campervanculture.com/shop/weaco- ... or-fridge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 VW T25 Westfalia Club Joker, 2.1 iDJ

danmetallic
Trader

Post by danmetallic »

Btw is there anything actually wrong with it? Some simple service procedures will have your 3-way freezing milk in no time.

mike9009
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by mike9009 »

I recently considered replacing my RM122 fridge in my 1981 Autohomes conversion. It had never cooled in my ownership and I couldn't get the gas to work/ light

It was pretty easy to uninstall. Taking advice from here, I left the fridge upside down for a couple of days. (To get the coolant moving again.) Cleaned the gas jets (easy enough once you see them). I blew the jet out with Plus gas which seemed to dislodge some carp.

Put it all back together again (nice and easy because I didn't need to cut any new vents which may have been an issue if I had bought a new fridge). And now my fridge cools stuff again.....

Mike

Simon james
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Simon james »

Hi there
Have You decided about the fridge ? I have a 1980 westy and would also like to replace the fridge but keep the original westy door . I ,ve seen a a fridge on just kampers this good be an option . Let me know what you have decided
Simon james

uberjock

Post by uberjock »

Hey guys.

Firstly, many thanks for the ideas.

I haven't decided yet.

Regarding, what's wrong with it - good question.

When we first got the van - 5 years ago - it didn't work at all. I took it out, had it serviced by a propane gas shop, turned it upside down and got it working after a fashion. But I was never convinced that the thing was lighting on gas.

Again, when we fist had the van, we had one toddler. We now have two and a third on the way. We're keeping the van, but I'd like to get the fridge working well enough to look after the 3 infants, hence thinking about something newer.

If I could convince myself that I could get this one working properly, then I'd go for it. But something more reliable might make more sense.

If I do change it, I'll probably hold on to the original just to keep the whole thing together.

cheers

Paul

danmetallic
Trader

Post by danmetallic »

uberjock wrote:Hey guys.

Firstly, many thanks for the ideas.

I haven't decided yet.

Regarding, what's wrong with it - good question.

When we first got the van - 5 years ago - it didn't work at all. I took it out, had it serviced by a propane gas shop, turned it upside down and got it working after a fashion. But I was never convinced that the thing was lighting on gas.

Again, when we fist had the van, we had one toddler. We now have two and a third on the way. We're keeping the van, but I'd like to get the fridge working well enough to look after the 3 infants, hence thinking about something newer.

If I could convince myself that I could get this one working properly, then I'd go for it. But something more reliable might make more sense.

If I do change it, I'll probably hold on to the original just to keep the whole thing together.

cheers

Paul

If it helps I think Jed at Campervan Culture has one of those fridges I pointed you towards on special, although it may have sold now. Worth asking.

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Still up for grabs :ok

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=143576" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

NomadAd
80-90 Mem No: 13940

Post by NomadAd »

I'm in the middle of swapping my fridge for a Waeco and was wandering if there's a reason why people are putting the drawer at the bottom and mounting the waeco on the top - any reason why it can't be done the other way round?

uberjock

Post by uberjock »

Once again thanks for all the earlier comments.

As a result of the discussion, I sent it off to a fridge service place. they tried to get it lighting but have failed to be able to do so. They suspect the fault lies in the inlet gas valve, possibly contaminated by some 'bad gas' that was apparently in the national supply system some years ago (??).

In any event, they can't get it going, and they can't find a replacement part having tried Dometic direct and some breakers.

If anyone out there has what they believe is a working gas valve for an RM182 (remote I know) then gimme a shout.

cheers, Paul.

peteandnero
80-90 Mem No: 7023

Post by peteandnero »

Hi,
this may or may not be helpful, but I had a similar issue with my fridge not working on gas and it turned out to be a filter (like a cigarette filter) which was originally placed in the supply pipe running across the top of the unit. It had gunged up and been driven down the pipe, blocking it. I blew this out using an airline when trying to clear the system and only found out what it was after. This solved all the gas issues for me but I did buy a new jet just incase.

Pete
1989 Westafalia Joker 1.9 TDI (MVE Conversion)