The Toad's DG to AGG Gti Conversion

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

syncropatrick
80-90 Mem No: 5294

Re: The Toad's DG to AGG Gti Conversion

Post by syncropatrick »

I can't help with the earth or isolate question as not there yet, but the BY has lots of wiring threads. Might this one help?
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/agg-w ... 86192.html
Campervan Dehler Profi hightop Syncro 16” AGG

badgerfax
80-90 Mem No: 2316

Post by badgerfax »

syncropatrick wrote:I can't help with the earth or isolate question as not there yet, but the BY has lots of wiring threads. Might this one help?
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/agg-w ... 86192.html

Good thread that Patrick, Will have a good read before going much further, :ok
Twist my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska.

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

Not much done in the last few days after gashing me mitt open at a scrap yard last Thursday (I wont show a pic of that as it turns my stomach!)
and camping (in a tent of all things) this weekend, Mate of mine lent us this glamping version. Was rather camp too with all that bunting :wink:

These arrived today so I can get on with the plumbing.
They are all PA GF30 spec as advised by Silverbullet 8)

Connectors bought from Webauto.lt

http://www.webauto.lt/category/vamzdeli ... tmasiniai/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And for the princely sum of £5.88 .............Delivered :ok :ok :ok

Not from this country tho so had to wait 11 days to arrive.
Last edited by badgerfax on 15 May 2017, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

Well another couple of jobs ticked off the list, the fuel tank is back in and MK 2 Golf pump and associated pipework run. Just hope it works!

You can just make out in the pic the white tubes, I ran these ducts in case I wanted to run oil cooler pipes later on.

Today I finished installing the loom, so the next jobs on the list are to make a bracket for the water tanks, bodge up an exhaust to get the van to the exhaust builders, and try and get some form of air filter setup. Out of all the bits to do this is the one giving me the biggest headache.

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

2 and a bit years in and the air filter set up is still giving me headaches.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

Titus A Duxass wrote:2 and a bit years in and the air filter set up is still giving me headaches.

Mmm that's worrying. I was hoping someone would have come up with the ideal solution that I could replicate.

What setup are you using Titus?

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

Not time for much this weekend, been tenting again and my knees doth protest :( (doesn't help when you kneel on a self tapper a few days before!)
Still, was nice to do a dads + kids only camp under canvas in a rather nice glamping bell tent/tipee only site in Pluckley.

http://www.gooseberryfieldcampsite.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John, if you are reading this, You have a great place, really enjoyed the stay and cooking on the dutch oven was the best :ok
Oh... and best of luck with the search for the Syncro :pimp

Got back Sunday afternoon after a stop at the local festival of transport car show and in true (cue the dueling banjos) redneck styleee and bodged up the exhaust..

Not pretty but its only got to go 10 miles.

Nearly there. Going to get some fuel in tomorrow and try and prime the pump and filter. Any tips welcome!

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

badgerfax wrote:
Titus A Duxass wrote:2 and a bit years in and the air filter set up is still giving me headaches.

Mmm that's worrying. I was hoping someone would have come up with the ideal solution that I could replicate.

What setup are you using Titus?

At present I have the original Passat intake from throttle body to LMM, then I have a piece of 80mm ducting running to a Hyundia Getz air box in (well nearly in) the right hand void which is in turn connected to the original VW oval intake pipe (70€ a go thank you very much) and diesel snorkel. I would like to source a petrol snorkel at some stage.

I found this set up gives me the best driving characteristics and is extremely quiet. The next mod is to remove the oil filler pipe and blank off the opening then I can run the ducting straight to the airbox.

This is the AMM mount complete with a hole for the Temp Sensor.

The Getz airbox which has been butchered to fit.

And the ducting between the two.

I've also tried a Mazda 323 airbox in the left ear, a K&N in the ear but they didn't feel right when driving.
I also had a K&N simply sat in the engine bay on the passat set up, it drove nice but was too loud.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

I know I'm diesel but.... I found having the battery in the engine bay really limits what air filter box can be used. (I've used a K&N Apollo for a while now) I have now moved the battery to under the rear seat, and will be fitting the petrol wbx filter box with the dusty conditions air filter. Fits quite nicely, on the battery tray.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I am thinking of moving the battery.
It's the nause with the wiring that puts me off.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I've just seen the price of WBX airboxes!!!
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

I have seen that a polo sdi airbox works well, I ordered one from German ebay but it never arrived :twisted: so for now I am going to try a second hand KN that I got hold off (just to get it running)

I tried buggering about with the left hand side but the space to get things in was so limited it just seems wrong, all the pipes having to play twisty snakes to get in position.

So I am left with running the duct across the the back of the engine bay, this conflicts with the filler water tank and the oil filler. Shame really as I wanted to keep these in their locations.

Thanks for the pics Titas. Maybe I should be looking for a Getz box instead

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

badgerfax wrote:I have seen that a polo sdi airbox works well, I ordered one from German ebay but it never arrived :twisted: so for now I am going to try a second hand KN that I got hold off (just to get it running)
I've also looked at that route but all the Polo sdi boxes appear to have the inlet and outlet on the same end. Ideally we need a box with in at one end and out at the other.

badgerfax wrote: I tried buggering about with the left hand side but the space to get things in was so limited it just seems wrong, all the pipes having to play twisty snakes to get in position.

I found that as well so I went back to the right hand option.

badgerfax wrote: So I am left with running the duct across the the back of the engine bay, this conflicts with the filler water tank and the oil filler. Shame really as I wanted to keep these in their locations.

You can remove and blank off the oil filler, I never have top the oil between oil changes.
I have been running without the second tank for over 2 years now without problems.

badgerfax wrote: Maybe I should be looking for a Getz box instead
They are cheap and work, I can see a GPS 170 kmh with it fitted. I thought that it might be too restrictive.

What seems to affect the the driveability is the distance between the LMM and the throttle body. Mine runs lovely with the original Passat tube. The ECU maybe mapped to it.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

Hi Titas, This is the airbox I was aiming for

How have you plumbed up for one tank? I am rigged at the mo for the original petrol/diesel one plus pressure cap feed to fill tank.

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

badgerfax wrote:Hi Titas, This is the airbox I was aiming for

http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/vw/POC/20 ... 9/2994703/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How have you plumbed up for one tank? I am rigged at the mo for the original petrol/diesel one plus pressure cap feed to fill tank.

Thanks for the link, when I get my VagCat login sorted I'll take a look.

I simply removed the second tank and pulled the pipe of the dalek cap.

Moving the battery would open up space on the battery tray for both the airbox and the top up tank.

Lloyd - can you tell us what was involved in moving the battery?
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l