Pros & Cons of Different T25 Standard Engine Types

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

siwalkster
80-90 Mem No: 0

Pros & Cons of Different T25 Standard Engine Types

Post by siwalkster »

I'm looking for a T25 and have done some research on the choice of factory fitted engines.

The diesel engines give good economy but a bit sluggish and expensive to repair if they go wrong.
The waterbox petrol are recommended by many but are thirsty, may overheat and if you have head troubles the studs can corrode in.
I would have thought that the simplicity of the air cooled boxer would make a more reliable alternative to the water cooled that won't overheat and have been well proved over the years. I'm told that spares for these are getting hard to come by.

Are these fair comments? Which is the best engine?
I like the idea of the petrol air cooled and am looking at a T25 with a 2.0 litre engine of that type today.
Simon

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Re: Pros & Cons of Different T25 Standard Engine Types

Post by fairwynds »

Hi and welcome.
Air cooled CU engines are easy to source parts for.
The 1.9 DG engine comes in 'early' (up to '85) and late guises, and are generally a well regarded lump. As you've already discovered, check for known history as far as coolant changes and correct coolant is concerned.
On here there will be people who like all the different engine types and suggest theirs is 'best'. :wink:
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

You have pretty much summed it up. Some Aircooled parts are unobtainable like the flywheel and some parts expensive but things change and parts are re-manufactured if there is a demand. This also applies to the water cooled engine especially the early version.
But remember the youngest Aircooled vehicles are over 32 years old, the water cooled 24 years. Better to look for good bodywork, mechanical bits can be changed a lot easier.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Welcome on in from us too :ok

Aye you have summed it up pretty well (good research then ;)) The 2.0Ltr air cooled is a thirsty beast and cab heating can be an issue unless all the heating bits (on the exhaust) are in good nick. If they are not, they are expensive to source. Worth taking into account when negotiating the price of buying one.

fairwynds wrote:check for known history as far as coolant changes and correct coolant is concerned.
This is of course true, but how reliably can one tell what coolant types, and frequency of changes, have been done to a 25+ year old engine that may have had many owners and may have started life as a builders van! It's a bit of a lottery imho.

The one thing I like about a Diesel van is it is easier, when the time comes (and it will) to swap to a better engine, be it a 1.9 TD or the nice inline 4 petrol engine (Golf/Passat/Scirocco/Skoda etc). I drive a late type WBX petrol van by the way (on it's second engine in my ownership!)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Aircooled engines do overheat.
They don't over heat the cabin though :D
I would choose a late 2.1 running on 46p/l lpg
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

All engines are expensive when they go wrong.
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Duplicate post. Is there still a way of deleting them
Last edited by Sir Brixalot on 19 Jan 2015, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
Honorary "Dave" 

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

kevtherev wrote:Aircooled engines do overheat.
They don't over heat the cabin though :D
I would choose a late 2.1 running on 46p/l lpg

I'll second that. My 1.9DG is purring but there is a lack of puff when the van's loaded up with family and camping gear. I nearly went for the MV - but didn't know enough about that type of engine and it sold quickly
Honorary "Dave" 

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

I would buy the engine that comes wrapped in the best body and interior you can find.....
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

keith wrote:I would buy the engine that comes wrapped in the best body and interior you can find.....
I agree with this, but if you have two equally good vans; by the diesel and convert!
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

my experience
I had an Aircooled once, I wasn't a fan (no pun intended!) slow and thirsty, awkward to work on in situ. Some people seem to rate them but I cant see the attraction. If well serviced and you get a good one it should be reliable. You can get alternative heaters for the cab like a propex or similar.

diesel for reliability, electrical connections are minimal (fuel pump cut off is the only one!) Less likely to go wrong but as you say when they do it's fairly expensive. Grunt is good, top speed isn't that great but can hold 60-65 without pushing it too hard

1.9 petrol more electrical parts to go wrong, battery at front of vehicle so a long way to the starter motor unless all the cable is in good nick can be hard starting. Earth points esp in the engine bay need to be kept corrossion free, ignition control module can fail intermittently. head corrosion from lack of maintenance as you're aware. Complicated exhaust prone to corrosion and awkward to remove and refit. Revs higher than the diesel but less low down torque.

2.1 petrol (DJ) lovely drive (probably the nicest) when it's all working correctly, thirsty when pushed (and it's tempting!) good all round power curve all the problems of the 1.9, and some more, difficult to diagnose electrical faults without swapping out some expensive and hard to find items ie AFM and idle stabilisation control unit. You really need a few days with the bentley manual and a lot of head scratching when it goes wrong.

there is another 2.1 petrol (MV) that I haven't driven that adds more electronics that I haven't driven much, but very similar to the DJ.

Have a read in the guides section
http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ma ... e_Owner.3F
member 1168

Kent Joker
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Kent Joker »

I guess a question what's the best anything will always be very subjective, I have driven and owned a fair few T3 and in my opinion only I wouldn't bother with an air cooled and as previously mentioned a good body is way more expensive to rectifie than an engine swap my current bus is a 1.9 tdi which has amazing performance good economy and I've done over 10,000 miles last year
Keith
1990 PD TDI Westy Atlantic