Eberspächer B2l - Trying to get it working again

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

irishkeet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Re: Eberspächer B2l - Trying to get it working again

Post by irishkeet »

OK so I'm totally confused now...
fitted the eber under the van, connected the fuel lines and fired her up to test if the pump was spitting fuel, the pump ran for a while and only a tiny drop of fuel came out, I know there is fuel in the line...so I stopped the heater, tried again and the pump never kicked in!

I couldn't get the pump to go again so I took it off, tested it with a battery and it clicks fine, eventually I removed the heater & cracked it open, checked the continuity on the pump cables which is fine.

Opened the eber control box and it all looks good, changed the fuse and still no pump firing up. I'm not sure what else to do the pump always worked. Gutted as I expected to have it running now. Seems strange that the pump suddenly stops now :shock:

any ideas....
------------------------
1985 Doka 1.9 DG 4 Speed Box
---
1986 Fakefalia Syncro Subaru EJ25

danmetallic
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 11955

Post by danmetallic »

irishkeet wrote:OK so I'm totally confused now...
fitted the eber under the van, connected the fuel lines and fired her up to test if the pump was spitting fuel, the pump ran for a while and only a tiny drop of fuel came out, I know there is fuel in the line...so I stopped the heater, tried again and the pump never kicked in!

I couldn't get the pump to go again so I took it off, tested it with a battery and it clicks fine, eventually I removed the heater & cracked it open, checked the continuity on the pump cables which is fine.

Opened the eber control box and it all looks good, changed the fuse and still no pump firing up. I'm not sure what else to do the pump always worked. Gutted as I expected to have it running now. Seems strange that the pump suddenly stops now :shock:

any ideas....

Have you tested the voltage on the terminals on the pump when installed (just in case)? Air bubble? Angle of pump?
1988 VW T25 Westfalia Club Joker, 2.1 iDJ

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

yep tested voltage not getting any reading, seems strange that the eber control box would suddenly give up the ghost, it would still click with a bubble, when connected to 12v it was spitting out a bit of fuel that was in it. :(
------------------------
---

danmetallic
Trader

Post by danmetallic »

irishkeet wrote:yep tested voltage not getting any reading, seems strange that the eber control box would suddenly give up the ghost, it would still click with a bubble, when connected to 12v it was spitting out a bit of fuel that was in it. :(

And you have voltage before the control box I take it? There's one on fleabay at the moment just in case you need it

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

thanks Dan...

OMG what a NUMB NUTS

I was getting stressed so I walked away, just been back to check with fresh eyes, noticed the thermostat was at 3, turned it up to 7 fired it up and the pump kicked in....ARRRGGGHH I was going mad, time for some lunch before putting it all back together again - lol
------------------------
---

danmetallic
Trader

Post by danmetallic »

irishkeet wrote:thanks Dan...

OMG what a NUMB NUTS

I was getting stressed so I walked away, just been back to check with fresh eyes, noticed the thermostat was at 3, turned it up to 7 fired it up and the pump kicked in....ARRRGGGHH I was going mad, time for some lunch before putting it all back together again - lol

We've all done it!! Me especially ;-)

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

All the troubleshooting steps are in the troubleshooting manual. Don't just try to guess as to the fault. Just because the pump isn't working it doesn't mean that it is faulty. It will not work if the motor isn't turning, there is undervoltage, plug isn't up to scratch etc.....
Belay that - I have just seen your next post!!! :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

OK I might name this thread 'the everything that can go wrong servicing your eber thread'

heater is back in place, quickly tested it again before refitting and it ran fine, let cool down had a cuppa...

So now that its back in place I cant get it to fire. Its down to the pump location me thinks.... The pump is tee'd into the fuel line just after the filter by the tank, I know the fuel is reaching the pump. I have now tried several locations with no joy, I fixed a bracket so the pump sits a bit lower than the tee piece in the fuel line so the fuel flows to the pump and angles up to the eber's fuel intake (as per the install guide & photo below) still no joy :(

I ran it about 10 times as I know it can take time for the fuel to flow still no joy. losing the light (& the will to live) so enough for today

any ideas anyone....cheers
------------------------
---

Oldiebut goodie

10 times may not be enough if the fuel lines are drained down. I made a little box up that gives me a pulsed output to prime the lines. Use an external 12v source and apply a tapping motion to fire the pump with it disconnected from the heater. Have you used that rubber hose all the way to the heater? The rubber is prone to getting squashed and kinked. It should be 1.5mm to 2mm bore at most.There shouldn't be any high loops either as an airlock can form.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

Hi OG

Will try again tomorrow but the length from the end of the pump to the eber is only 6", used small bore rubber all the way, no loops, I may try moving the pump higher tomorrow but that will mean the fuel travelling uphill from the tank not sure thats correct either.

On thinking about it I connected the fuel line to the heater leaving enough to connect to the pump after refitting, there could well be air trapped in the line. ill drop the heater tomorrow connect a small hose & clips to the eber and use some rigid fuel line for the middle connection from pump to heater.

Oldiebut goodie wrote:10 times may not be enough if the fuel lines are drained down. I made a little box up that gives me a pulsed output to prime the lines. Use an external 12v source and apply a tapping motion to fire the pump with it disconnected from the heater. Have you used that rubber hose all the way to the heater? The rubber is prone to getting squashed and kinked. It should be 1.5mm to 2mm bore at most.There shouldn't be any high loops either as an airlock can form.
Last edited by irishkeet on 23 Oct 2014, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------
---

Oldiebut goodie

The pump can push far further than it can pull but the distance that you are covering there it is immaterial. Small bore tube isn't the same as the correct one - I would hazard a guess that your rubber pipe is 4 or 5mm. When you use the correct pipe the end butts against the spigots and the rubber joins are purely a seal and not being used for fuel tr ansit. No need to move the pump higher as you will end up having a downward slope on the output which will lead to problems. Is that fuel filter full or is there air in it? If there is air in there that may be the cause.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:The pump can push far further than it can pull but the distance that you are covering there it is immaterial. Small bore tube isn't the same as the correct one - I would hazard a guess that your rubber pipe is 4 or 5mm. When you use the correct pipe the end butts against the spigots and the rubber joins are purely a seal and not being used for fuel tr ansit. No need to move the pump higher as you will end up having a downward slope on the output which will lead to problems. Is that fuel filter full or is there air in it? If there is air in there that may be the cause.

I will rejig it tomorrow so the solid fuel line ends butt against the spigots and the rubber joins are purely a seal and not being used for fuel transit. Never thought about the fuel-filter, yep there is air in it. cheers OG.

Im away camping Sat night so Im pushing to get this done but I have ordered this kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4mm-X-1-metre ... OC:GB:3160 and will replace lines next week even if its working
------------------------
---

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

OK lots more time under the van again today....

It seems the fuel pump may be the issue. Now connected with the correct 2mm hard fuel line. Its happy to spit fuel when the outlet pipe is facing the floor and the pump is vertical, and will continue to spit up to a horizontal position as soon as you raise it to the 15 degrees it fails to spit fuel.

So the heater is back on the van (again) and and working with the pump and fuel line horizontally in line with the ebers fuel intake. This will have to do for now.

So anyone know where to find a fuel pump for an Eberspacher B2L?

cheers. irishkeet :mrgreen:
------------------------
---

danmetallic
Trader

Post by danmetallic »

Spannerack has an Eber for sale in the for sale section. Worth asking if he has a pump.

Oldiebut goodie

Plenty of pumps around on ebay - look for one that covers range of 1-3 or 1-4Kw.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶