What jack do you have?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

baj25
80-90 Mem No: 12953

Re: What jack do you have?

Post by baj25 »

Another good thread to nudge me to get my a$$ in gear. Can anyone advise range required for bottle jack? i.e. min height to get under van with flat tyre, and max height to get wheel clear of the ground? I always had a bottle jack in my T2 but it was in it when it self cremated so ain't got it no more! That reminds me, I need to find out where to jack a T25... TIA, Bri

baj25

Post by baj25 »

Part 1 of answer to my own question- 15" is needed to get rear off ground. I stuck a tape measure under while my tyres were being changed at weekend. I'l have a look at min height when I get chance. Bri

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

A lot of syncro owners use hi-lift jacks. You need to buy an extra 'arm' to slot into the jacking points.
Also, some use bottle jacks from a Crafter van (find on fleabay), as they have the right weight and lift.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Ok so im going to get a 4 tonne machinemart bottle jack instead of the old thing i have which i have never had to use but i realise is probably too tall
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... k#p7988625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

range looks good to me at 190-385mm
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... tle%20jack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
please can somebody confirm they are ok to store on their side inside the spare wheel?
thanks
Paul
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Paul, what's wrong with that old screw type jack that you currently have? I have a soft spot for old jacks and am often looking for good uns on the bay. Does it require much elbow grease to get up sufficiently?
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

itchyfeet wrote:please can somebody confirm they are ok to store on their side inside the spare wheel?
The standard-issue bottle jack on my Shogun was stored on it's side, so there's clearly no inherent issue.

Whether it'd like the potentially weather-ridden inside of the spare is another question.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

what2d wrote: Does it require much elbow grease to get up sufficiently?

this is going to end up in tooc thread if you are not careful :lol:

Nothing wrong with it, i can get it up very easily, i just find its a bit too long to slide in at 10" mimimum, flat tyre no chance
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

AdrianC wrote:
itchyfeet wrote:please can somebody confirm they are ok to store on their side inside the spare wheel?
The standard-issue bottle jack on my Shogun was stored on it's side, so there's clearly no inherent issue.

Whether it'd like the potentially weather-ridden inside of the spare is another question.

Thanks, im happy to grease it up just didnt know if hydraulic fluid would leak as it would on a trolley jack
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

baj25

Post by baj25 »

Looked to me like MM stopped doing bottle jacks- no stock of any on their website? Bri

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

baj25 wrote:Looked to me like MM stopped doing bottle jacks- no stock of any on their website? Bri
Well spotted, didnt check stock
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

baj25

Post by baj25 »

More measurements- my rear cross member is 10.5" off the floor, tyre is about 4.5" high at normal inflation. So with tyre flat, jack would need to be about 6" to fit under. Then raise to 15" to get spare on.
Front cross member is 12.5" off the floor. I didn't measure height needed to get wheel clear of the ground, I assumed wrongly that front and rear would be the same. Might need to extend to 17" to lift front. Jeez, seems a lot of faff to work out what jack I need!! Bri

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

AdrianC wrote:The standard-issue bottle jack on my Shogun...

Just moving that on the shelf this morning, I noticed something interesting. It's missing the screw-adjustable top seat that virtually every aftermarket bottle jack has. With that, you slip the jack under and - FULLY DEFLATED - unscrew the top until it gently contacts the suspension component. THEN you pump. It can give you anything up to three or four more inches of travel. So... if you're trawling around for a bottle jack to buy or scrounge, avoid the bright red ones from a Mk2 Shogun, and whatever you do find, give the top a twiddle to make sure it's screw-adjustable.

Interestingly, it's "only" rated to 1500kg - on a wagon that's both heavier unladen and has a higher GVW than our vans. 'course, since you're not balancing the whole vehicle on it...
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I use a 6 ton one (for use on my Merc as well) - it is amazing the amount of effort that my 3 ton one needs compared to that. I raise the Merc with the 6 ton then lift the rear axle with the 3 ton to remove a wheel!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

baj25 wrote:More measurements- my rear cross member is 10.5" off the floor, tyre is about 4.5" high at normal inflation. So with tyre flat, jack would need to be about 6" to fit under. Then raise to 15" to get spare on.
Front cross member is 12.5" off the floor. I didn't measure height needed to get wheel clear of the ground, I assumed wrongly that front and rear would be the same. Might need to extend to 17" to lift front. Jeez, seems a lot of faff to work out what jack I need!! Bri

Yes i have been doing the measurements but i have been looking at jacking (as i usually do with a trolley jack) from trailing arm and track control arm as this means you only have to lift a few inches rather than the whole travel of the suspension.
problem is tgey will be as little as 4-5 inches off the ground with a flat and the smallest bottle jacks are about 7 inches

so either ditch the idea and jack from the body or drive the wheel up onto something like a block of wood or one of those levelling blocks we all carry (snigger)

or a scissor jack maybe which goes down to 4 inches
http://www.screwfix.com/p/1-5-tonne-sci ... 205879#_=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do other folk with a bottle jack do?

some here
http://www.screwfix.com/p/2-tonne-bottle-jack/54957" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.screwfix.com/p/3-tonne-bottle-jack/90276" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.screwfix.com/p/5-tonne-bottle-jack/40473" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or perhaps you never needed to?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Ok so got this scissor jack today to tide me over until i find something better
http://www.screwfix.com/p/1-5-tonne-sci ... 205879#_=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it wont fit in the spare wheel without mods but i have a slot in the van for it
jacks ok from trailing arm or front control arm ok and will go low enough if a tyre is flat.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks