Rusty chrome hubcaps

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

acw
80-90 Mem No: 0

Rusty chrome hubcaps

Post by acw »

title says it all, so can i paint them or will it just fall off the chrome?

second question its a white van with black wheels so do i paint them black or white

Cheers
1982 air cooled 2L T25 manual Autosleeper

Andy

pirate-pete
80-90 Mem No: 7945

Re: Rusty chrome hubcaps

Post by pirate-pete »

Remove the chrome first if you want the paint to stick. Judging by what happened when I tried to remove the limescale in our bathroom all you want is some acid based limescale remover, leave for 10 mins or longer and the chrome should disappear. Or at least that is what happened to my taps :cry:

From black or white my choice would be white on the black wheels.

The other thing I've found is that if you take one of those green scotchbrite pot cleaning pads and scrub the rusty chrome you may find most of the rust is just stains which will wipe off. I just do this a few times a year especially after winter and the salty roads. Still plenty of tiny rust pits so not a perfect finish but still good enough from a few feet.
1983 Westy Joker HighTop, 1Z TDI Conversion

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

pirate-pete wrote:
The other thing I've found is that if you take one of those green scotchbrite pot cleaning pads and scrub the rusty chrome you may find most of the rust is just stains which will wipe off. I just do this a few times a year especially after winter and the salty roads. Still plenty of tiny rust pits so not a perfect finish but still good enough from a few feet.

Thats what i do twice a year but i use polish and an old green scourer, a new one is too sharp and will scratch, the polish fills the pits and helps to protect.

Not a fan of painted caps myself

some for sale on the byard
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/2-x-s ... 84190.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

acw
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by acw »

i had a go with the cleaning pads but the tiny pits have grown to penny size.
time for paint or new hubcaps, i like the idea of black wheels and white caps

cheers
1982 air cooled 2L T25 manual Autosleeper

Andy