installing solar power in a westy

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

aerovolito
80-90 Mem No: 10794

Re: installing solar power in a westy

Post by aerovolito »

Hi Lloydy,

That's exactly how I've done it. I put an Anderson on the engine flap too...in case I need to charge the engine battery. Works a treat for me because the Westy hi top isn't the best shape/size for mounting for SP's. Having said that, it does mean I have plenty of room inside to store them.

(apologies for yet another Morocco pic! :shock: )

Mark
Up is the new Down
Jacked Up 88 Westy Joker Hi-Top
87 Unimog Ambulance slowly turning into a camper

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

That is how I would use it, although my leisure set up would just mean one Anderson connector onto the starter battery. My sterling charger recognises that and charges the leisures.
I can appreciate the nickability of them, but I think mine would only be used during extended stays or very hot places (like morocco :wink: ) Not on normal weekend trips. Plus my roof normally has a roof box or kayaks on, so the panels would spend some time in the shade of them
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Post by PetenAli »

This is more and more the way I am thinking of going. Especially because with the Sterling we don't need solar power in this country but do need it in Southern Europe where our 2 X 80 amp leisure batteries will only last about 12 hours when keeping the Waeco going in temps above 35C without hook up.

Two questions then for Aerovolito and lloydy:

1) What recommendations for monocrystalline foldable / demountable solar panels?

2) What about fitting an MPPT regulator? Is it OK to connect / disconnect a regulator each time the panel is moved?

I would do the same as lloydy and connect to the cranking battery to make use of the Sterling to charge the leisure batteries. Would this negate the need for a separate MPPT regulator?
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

i know very little about solar, its only just starting to interest me so i will learn more,.. I would go for a know make like Baird. The folding one come with a regulator on the back, so its just a straight connection into the van.
May well be much better makes than Baird, i need to do some reading..

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

read this
Taken at Busfest on Saturday, The heater had been on for the night constant, then the sun came up

AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Very nice Kev.... :D

That is very impressive and great to see the setup belting out those kind of numbers...Even more impressive is the dawn to dusk endless output these setups deliver, even if at times the figures drop much lower, it never stops and all counts.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Yep, very useful output there :mrgreen:

I have just sold my 60W panel which I have owned for about 6 years because, whilst it was ok in full sun, it's output in less than ideal conditions was nowhere near as good as many folks on here seem to get.

I use my van pretty much daily, and as I won't be doing much camping (other than the odd one nighter) now the summer is over ( :cry: ), I can rely on my "poor man's Sterling" set-up for now. I will be getting a modern 100W flexi one, and a better charge controller at some point in the future.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

lloydy wrote:That is how I would use it, although my leisure set up would just mean one Anderson connector onto the starter battery. My sterling charger recognises that and charges the leisures.
I can appreciate the nickability of them, but I think mine would only be used during extended stays or very hot places (like morocco :wink: ) Not on normal weekend trips. Plus my roof normally has a roof box or kayaks on, so the panels would spend some time in the shade of them

I spoke to Sterling about connecting the panels to the starter battery. I wanted to use the remote display so I could see the charge rate. They said the loses though the Sterling B2B would be too great to make the panel worth while. I haven't tested it though to see what's what.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Is yours a B2B?
Where did they recommend? Straight into the leisure side?
Cheers

ninja.turtle007

lloydy wrote:Is yours a B2B?
Where did they recommend? Straight into the leisure side?
Cheers

Yes and yes.

ninja.turtle007

Yes and yes.

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

And yes :D

aerovolito
80-90 Mem No: 10794

Post by aerovolito »

Two questions then for Aerovolito and lloydy:

1) What recommendations for monocrystalline foldable / demountable solar panels?

2) What about fitting an MPPT regulator? Is it OK to connect / disconnect a regulator each time the panel is moved?

I bought mine off Ebay 3 years ago. The panels are Bosch and the seller was 'Photonics Universe' IIRC. They came with a protective case. I have a very basic setup. A length of cable with an Anderson connector to my leisure battery.

I only disconnect it when I'm packing it away and usually just leave it facing south. It doesn't have an MPPT controller and the one fitted isn't waterproof - though it really should be as I have a habit of leaving them out overnight
Up is the new Down
Jacked Up 88 Westy Joker Hi-Top
87 Unimog Ambulance slowly turning into a camper

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Found them :ok they look good quality.. the controller on them now is fully waterproof so can be left out. It is PWN instead of MPPT, but a little bit of reading suggests PWN is all you need if your under 150W and particularly if it is used to keep on top of your batteries rather than charging from flat.
How confident are you all that these £30 MPPT chargers do what they say? When you look off of eBay, the prices of them can rise above the cost of a 100W panel.

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Post by PetenAli »

Thanks aerovolito and lloydy.

On the MPPT side of things - everything that I have read and heard from knowledgeable people seems to indicate that MPPT is the way to go because it allows for much more efficient charging. I need to do some more reading :?

My aim is the same as yours i.e. top up charging rather than charging from heavily discharged. (The main charging would come from driving with the Sterling in operation or from hook up using the CTEK.)

I would also aim to connect solar panels to the cranking battery like lloydy and use the Sterling to top up the leisures via the usual route.
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171