DIY Simple Immobiliser

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

col.decker
80-90 Mem No: 12055

DIY Simple Immobiliser

Post by col.decker »

So after reading lots of threads and seeing facebook posts about vans getting stolen I've decided to make my mine more secure. Funds prevent me getting one of them proper GPS systems but I reckon I can find a few pennies for a switch and wire to make an immobiliser. Here's the plan:

cut into the +ve feed to the ignition coil, run it into the cab with a switch, run it back to coil. Then I just need to find a nice place to hide the switch. Anybody done anything similar? Did you use the coil or some other means of disabling the engine?
1986 1.9 Petrol DG, VT20 Auto-Sleeper ... 18" Sub Woofer in the back.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: DIY Simple Immobiliser

Post by lloydy »

Could just put it on the supply from battery, thing with this type of immob is that the switch has to be pretty well hidden. As if the switch can be found it's not much work to link it out
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Post by Jeff J »

I fitted a battery isolator switch next to the battery under the seat & take the key out as a simple cheap added security measure. As loydy says it is easily shorted out, but every little helps.

Wychall
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 9841

Post by Wychall »

For a simple, but hidden, switch, use a reed switch behind the dash board and operate it with a strong magnet from the front. Remove the magnet when you leave the vehicle and the tea-leaf has no chance. Even if he has a magnet he won't know where to place it. :idea
South African 1991 2.5i Microbus - now sadly rehomed to pay for a Melco EMT16X Embroidery Machine.

King Kenny
80-90 Mem No: 10965

Post by King Kenny »

I fitted a switch to the electric fuel pump on my Morris Minor. The switch was mounted in the dash next to the fog light switch. I marked it "FAN" and one day some bloke tried to drive off but didn't get to far with no petrol filling the carb.
Kenny.
I don't know where I am, but I'm having a lovely time!

1990 CARAVELLE 1.9cc petrol : watercooled