pipe on air cleaner

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

miketea
80-90 Mem No: 12238

pipe on air cleaner

Post by miketea »

Hi All,
This is my first time on here so apologies for any gaffs. I recently replaced the air filter on the engine of my 1990 1.7 D HiTop It occurred to me that there should be some form of pipework connecting the engine breather to the plastic air scoop that is fitted into the air vent on the rear of the vehicle. Any one know if my hunch is right or not.
1990 1.7d Hitop 4 speed

pirate-pete
80-90 Mem No: 7945

Re: pipe on air cleaner

Post by pirate-pete »

The snorkel pipe which leads from the air intakes on the rear outside of the van should be connected to the air filter housing by a hose.

My van has been converted from 1.6d to a 1.9 tdi so the original air filter will not fit. Instead they put in an aftermarket cone filter which is not connected to the snorkel pipe and just takes air from the engine compartment. If that was the case with yours you would probably realised when you bought your air filter as it would not have been standard.

I take it by engine breather you mean the air filter housing. What I think of as the breather is the hose leading from the crankcase to the rocker cover. This also sometime feeds into the air filter housing but I'm not sure of the routing on a 1.7d. If you did mean this breather then it won't connect directly to the snorkel pipe but to somewhere on the intake nearer the filter.
1983 Westy Joker HighTop, 1Z TDI Conversion

miketea

Post by miketea »

Hi,
Many thanks for that, yes it is the air filter housing I mean. The air filter was the standard one for the engine, just removed the clipped cover and slotted it in. The cover held on by clips has a short six inch flexi hose attached which is just sitting in the engine bay. At the moment there is just a black plastic scoop attached to the inside of the rear vent. Do you know the part name for the hose so I can order one.
1990 1.7d Hitop 4 speed

pirate-pete
80-90 Mem No: 7945

Post by pirate-pete »

Diagram here - part 11 is named "elbow without cyclone function" but you're best just sticking a post in the wanted area for the air filter to snorkel pipe for a 1.7d
1983 Westy Joker HighTop, 1Z TDI Conversion

miketea

Post by miketea »

Thanks again for the info, I'll certainly try that. failing that I've just heard of some one using a length of flexible hose to do the job, just need to get the diameter of the pipe right.
1990 1.7d Hitop 4 speed

gog

Post by gog »

Hi,

I am wondering if you found a suitable flexible pipe ?

I have the same problem, I am missing the link between the air filter housing and the snorkel pipe from the side vent, as can be seen in the picture.

Anyone found a suitable flexi pipe for this ?

The diameter would be about 2.5 inches / 65mm.

I have searched VW Heritage, Brickwerks, Just Kampers sites but cannot find a replacement part.

Regards,

Colm.
Attachments
IMG_0633.JPG
IMG_0633.JPG (115.51 KiB) Viewed 1768 times

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

this replaces number 11 on a 1.6td http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/a ... iesel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you'd have to find out if it fits yours
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

gog

Post by gog »

Thanks for that lloydy,

I missed that one on Brickwerks, it looks very similar to what I need.

I have emailed the Brickwerks lads, see if they think it will fit my van.

Colm.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Plenty of flexible duct on ebay - 65mm is a standard size for heaters.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

bowesy
80-90 Mem No: 9874

Post by bowesy »

I got a reinforced silicone pipe off eBay 250mm long think it ws around 65/70mm and it cost just over £8 delivered I will find the prt number and post it up
1986 devon 1.6td currently being renovated

gog

Post by gog »

Thanks for the replies lads, think I have found a piece of pipe that will do the job.

The part on Brickwerks ( http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/a ... iesel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) won't fit the 1.7D air filter housing.

Had a look on ebay and you are right, there are plenty of flexible ducting / pipe listed, so if the one I have doesn't work out I can always get one on Ebay.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Regards,

Colm.