Pulsating brake

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MayaTheBee
80-90 Mem No: 11265

Pulsating brake

Post by MayaTheBee »

Wheels, tyres, brakes and shocks will be replaced - so that's not the issue. I've done some reading up on drums vs discs at the rear and it seems its common practise to convert to discs at the rear instead of simply refitting new drums. Is it a huge mission to fit discs at the rear or should I rather refit new drums?

Pulsating... I found a wheel buckled, tyre with bald patch and a warped rear drum - and not the same wheel :mrgreen: Suddenly doing 160kmh no longer seems like a good idea :twisted:
1992 SA Microbus 2.5i (5-cyl)
“The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.”
Luke 18:27

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Pulsating brake

Post by kevtherev »

I don't see the advantage of fitting discs when the drums do a fine job for the engine/weight
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

matt-northey
80-90 Mem No: 11149

Post by matt-northey »

i fell drums wood be better cheaper, last longer?? you may find disc will be to powerful and course lock ups
1983 Aircooled tintop T25

on the road now happy days!!

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

matt-northey wrote:you may find disc will be to powerful and course lock ups

An urban MYTH I'm afraid.....disc brakes DO NOT have self servo action like drums and certainly are not any more powerful by design. You will also find that the hand brake 'with discs' is very poor compaired to drums.
However, there are two real advantages:
1) The open design of disc brakes means they cool better and so are less prone to brake fade when worked very hard.
BUT
2) The main reason that manufacturers have swapped to discs all round is that most vehicles are now fitted with ABS and some sort of stability control system, these innovations simply don't work in conjunction with older drum brake design. Thats the real reason and not that they are inherently better or more powerful.
Spread the word and not the myth!

Martin
Last edited by California Dreamin on 13 Oct 2012, 19:48, edited 4 times in total.
1989 California 2.1MV

matt-northey
80-90 Mem No: 11149

Post by matt-northey »

:D very good either way if it was me i would leave the brakes as is works very well as long as maintained :ok
1983 Aircooled tintop T25

on the road now happy days!!