ET ?

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jeffdub
80-90 Mem No: 10317

ET ?

Post by jeffdub »

when i got my van it had alloys on it but the tyres were on the limit so i got a set of 14" steels and put them on , i took my alloys into work to repaint them and had a look at the rear of them and it says they are OZ wheels with an et of 35 which i think is right for the van , my query is when i removed them they had 10mm spacers on which if im right takes the ET to 25 , why would the previous owner put spacers on when the ET was correct in the first place ? thanks jeff
1983 1.9 dg automatic

Wychall
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 9841

Re: ET ?

Post by Wychall »

"Phone Home" and ask!

They most likely thought it looked better with a wider track, or perhaps they didn't think in the first place, just stuck them on as "the done thing".
South African 1991 2.5i Microbus - now sadly rehomed to pay for a Melco EMT16X Embroidery Machine.

jeffdub

Post by jeffdub »

yeh brian maybe i'll have to check what length bolts to use when i refit them , the ones that came with the alloys or the ones i got from brickwerks for the steelies
1983 1.9 dg automatic

Wychall
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 9841

Post by Wychall »

You also need to check the seat shape. Sometimes steels and alloys have different seat profiles. Don't think excess length will be too critical, provided they don't foul anything behind the hubs, or have a shank that prevents them tightening correctly.
South African 1991 2.5i Microbus - now sadly rehomed to pay for a Melco EMT16X Embroidery Machine.

jeffdub

Post by jeffdub »

i kept the bolts and nuts that were holding the alloys on brian just gotta check they're not to long if i dont put the spacers back on
1983 1.9 dg automatic

faggie

Post by faggie »

you will have no problem on the front as the bolts just go through the hub of the front disc, on the rear the longer studs just protrude through the nuts, as mentioned make shure the taper is correct for the wheels the standard vw wheels you bought of me use radiused taper bolts as most vw porsche wheels, but due to your wheels being aftermarket they may be different