Who carrys a spare tyre?

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

keithNgill
80-90 Mem No: 11338

Re: Who carrys a spare tyre?

Post by keithNgill »

lost a tyre due to a huge bulge in sidewall in edinburgh on route for wirral. spare for me is a must? be aware most jacks WONT lift the van, check yours does and a strong bar may not crack the nuts as an AA repairman once found out! i have a spare, strongbar, dodgy jack - to be replaced? and 3 feet of scaffpole :ok
Now a "not so lean" but pretty green LPG powered machine! Converted by Gasure Chester.

*Old age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill*

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

keithNgill wrote:be aware most jacks WONT lift the van, check yours does and a strong bar may not crack the nuts as an AA repairman once found out! i have a spare, strongbar, dodgy jack - to be replaced? and 3 feet of scaffpole :ok

Seconded on that :ok

I wonder how many on here have the more recent Gasure LPG conversion that has the tank where the spare goes ?

Last edited by ghost123uk on 13 Sep 2012, 07:36, edited 1 time in total.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

trentjim
80-90 Mem No: 11422

Post by trentjim »

well i'm 37 years of age and in my whole life the only wheel changes i've had to make could have been avoided if was carrying a pump...
My MGTF was never supplied with a spare... though even if it was i had to give up on the offside rear after breaking a socket on it using the impact wrench - a spare is only half of the story.

That said, when at the tyre fitters 3 years ago he told me that ... if i got an effin flat and used that effin can on my tyres i could f off somewhere else and get some other effin chunt to clean the chit off the effin thing before he would fit a new tyre... seemed a bit harsh but it clearly worked as i've been nursing a slow deflation, probably bit of corrosion on the rim, for over a year without spraying any effin chit into it!
'91 (ex Whitestar) Purplestar hightop 1Z TDI

evilnoodle
80-90 Mem No: 10633

Post by evilnoodle »

trentjim wrote:That said, when at the tyre fitters 3 years ago he told me that ... if i got an effin flat and used that effin can on my tyres i could f off somewhere else and get some other effin chunt to clean the chit off the effin thing before he would fit a new tyre... seemed a bit harsh but it clearly worked as i've been nursing a slow deflation, probably bit of corrosion on the rim, for over a year without spraying any effin chit into it!

:rofl
Jane :-)

LIVE YOUR DREAMS......................except for the one about being eaten by a giant spider!

Shem
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Shem »

I keep forgetting to look, tonight!

Washer filler, under left hand seat area somewhere, Im sure Ive seen it during investigations and guessed that was it?

Writes on hand "Look tonight!"

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Shem wrote:I keep forgetting to look, tonight!

Washer filler, under left hand seat area somewhere,

nope!
try again
that's the expansion tank for petrol
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Post by 72BUG »

Try under the carpet in the passenger side footwell.

Oh, and spare wheels are for pussies!
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

Westy End
80-90 Mem No: 7733

Post by Westy End »

I read in one of those history of the t25 books (I must get out more) that the driver and the spare tyre together provided a counterweight to the engine in the rear. Might just be marketing speak but I bet all the engineering assumes that the weight of the spare is in the front ( they were German you know).
....========¬====¬
.../-/--|----||---\-----‴-----\
..#/__|__ ||__❚[\_____⌒ _\›
.|======|===[ ❑❑ΞⓦΞ❑❑]
[⎛⎞...|.....|⎛⎞ [ ‹=====›]
-⎝⎠\_|__ /⎝⎠ ⫅=====⫆⎠ (apologies to jed the spread)

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

That picture of the knackered wheel reminds me of the time I had a puncture (on our Peugeot 807), and could not undo the locking wheel nut. After trying everything (including an aerosol), I ended up having the car trailered to the tyre depot, where they gave up after a few hours, and ended up cutting my alloy wheel to pieces, to get it off.
I have since removed the locking nuts, as I don't think many people would nick the wheels of an 807 anyway. Hardly boy racer material, are they? I managed to get another alloy off ebay, and had a new tyre fitted. All things considered, that one pucture cost me around £300, and a lot of time.
That was back last year, but only the other day, my wife bashed the car into a curb and wrecked the tyre. This was in the midle of Cardiff, while the Olympic football matches were on, and lots of roads were closed, causing traffic chaos. She instantly had half a dozen burly policement rushing to change the tyre, so she could move the car. That one needed a new tyre as well - so it does happen.
The answer to the question though, is to go all Syncro, and hang the wheel off the back end. Or fix it inside, like a Syncro without a wheel carrier!
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Spot on mate I removed my lockers too... had the "tool" chew one up, and an embarrassing time at the garage where Terry (mechanic) fed on it for months, he told me so!. :roll:
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Can you get a "space saver" wheel that would work with a T25 on standard steels ?

Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Post by nevill3 »

ghost123uk wrote:Can you get a "space saver" wheel that would work with a T25 on standard steels ?

nevill3 wrote:Find a correctly sized and load rated space saver wheel & tyre...like this

http://www.justkampers.com/forum2/viewt ... s&start=30
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Ooops, thanks :ok

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Not worth taking chances on vehicles this big. I run 15" Merc wheels but carry an original 14" and tyre under the front which, fortunately, matches the circumference of the other four and has been deployed at least twice from memory. I also carry a footpump, an electric pump and small trolley jack. I wouldn't want to rely on breakdown for a puncture and as for tyre goo, forget it.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

MayaTheBee
80-90 Mem No: 11265

Post by MayaTheBee »

Forgive my ignorance, but skimping on your spare is skimping on safety. If you wanna use the designated space for something else, or fit bigger wheels, then rather stick your spare to the tailgate (even if it means using crazy/super glue) :twisted: And then you can say you've got a modified Syncro :mrgreen:
1992 SA Microbus 2.5i (5-cyl)
“The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.”
Luke 18:27