bigger radiator

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

karlos09
80-90 Mem No: 0

bigger radiator

Post by karlos09 »

hey up guys ,is there any other radiators that you can fit for better cooling purposes ,

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Re: bigger radiator

Post by jamesc76 »

what engine ??? It should be fine at cooling unless you have got it wrong or fitted summit massive!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

karlos09

Post by karlos09 »

jamesc76 wrote:what engine ??? It should be fine at cooling unless you have got it wrong or fitted summit massive!
just bought t25 with rover v8 ,just fancy bigger rad on it cheers karl

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

might find its more the fact the engine is trying to pump the coolant along way! irrc the derv units have a extra electric coolant pump
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

karlos09

Post by karlos09 »

jamesc76 wrote:might find its more the fact the engine is trying to pump the coolant along way! irrc the derv units have a extra electric coolant pump
cheers pal been looking at davis craig coolant pumps around £83 ,may change stat ,what sort of temp should they open at

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

that shouldnt be a problem , I built loads of rickers with the rover V8 (amongs others) into the rear and had cooling up front, what we did find though was some folks subsequently changed stuff as they do and they used longer lengths of rubber hose 1.75" + and on the suction side, at revs these were collapsing, but circulation was never a problem and we were piutting out far more than yours will be doing
mm

karlos09

Post by karlos09 »

Cheers pal iv not run it yet ,the other owner just mentioned the stat cus it add been stood a while ,runs well though the engine

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

ah.. whereabouts are you?
as said theres a few tweaks that can be done and providing the installation has been done right then theres no prob with the unit being in the back and the rad in front
mm
can you post up a pick or two or a link to them

karlos09

Post by karlos09 »

metalmick8y wrote:ah.. whereabouts are you?
as said theres a few tweaks that can be done and providing the installation has been done right then theres no prob with the unit being in the back and the rad in front
mm
can you post up a pick or two or a link to them
I'm in Sheffield pal 2 mins from meadowhall ,it's been done along time pal ,the previous guy that owned it went touring Germany in it ,if you can get on T4 forum you can view it on there, not sure how to put photos on ere or how to do a link ,but iv put pics on T4 for il see our lass can put a link up ,my other van is an Ex AA van 2.5 Tdi 2001

DentedDevon
80-90 Mem No: 1747

Post by DentedDevon »

My T25 V8 is running a standard 1.9 rad but Ive replaced the rover water pump with a pair of davies craig ewp80's.
There is a lot of heat to get rid of, the cab floor gets too hot to touch under the rubber mat !
The engine has a T25 temperature sender fitted , the rover one will work but not correctly.
Under normal conditions the needle sits at the right hand edge of the warning led. If the weather is hot or I push the van harder the needle will move maybe 1/8 th inch or so beyond the led, warm but under control.
Electric pumps mean queing in hot weater is no problem .
This thread give some useful info on T25 rads and part numbers http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62741
An original radiator will now be 20 yrs + old, however I have been warned that the cores in some replacement radiators can perform no better than a tired original one.
For my own van eventually I am looking at a warm climate rad , late cowl with the larger fan and improving the exit route for the hot air, but not high priority at the moment.
My vans thread has more info and pics of its pumps etc http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=75687

Look forward to seeind some pictures of yours ....heres a link to the instructions for posting them http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Mi ... g_pictures
1986 Devon Caravette, Subaru 2.5 Quad Cam

VWGeoff

Post by VWGeoff »

The CS engine didn`t have aux water pump. I don`t think 1.7 had it either?

jamesc76 wrote:might find its more the fact the engine is trying to pump the coolant along way! irrc the derv units have a extra electric coolant pump

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

The electric pump only runs with the engine off to prevent hot spots....and then very rarely as the engine needs to be above 105 degrees If I recall...

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

just because you have a bigger engine , dosent mean you need a bigger rad

unless you are constanly thrashing your motor a standard rad will be more than up for it.

karlos09

Post by karlos09 »

cheers guys it all ready for test now ,it was just a thought about putting big rad on thats all but like i said the previous owner did take it to germany and had no problems , but dont no weather im keeping it as yet cus may need money to spend on mi T4 as i could part with that ,im wanting to change all the interia again ,cheers once again lads