GLOW...NO GLOW NIGHTMARE,PLEASE HELP!

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

shrekwoody
80-90 Mem No: 0

GLOW...NO GLOW NIGHTMARE,PLEASE HELP!

Post by shrekwoody »

hi there people

so i spend a year repairing/restoring my first t25 devon, passed its mot yesterday, after 8 years off the road

i drive it around 40 miles and problems with starting

i investigated and found loss of feed to glow plugs

fuse ok, replaced relay and she fired up fine, but next turn of the key no glow plug light and no power to glow plugs so she wont go

recently converted from 1700 ky to 1900 1y

for months its started first time everytime, yet 1 trip for mot and back and im faced with electrical nightmare

its driving me mad, had a fumble round in the wires and it worked again,but next min no click from relay, no feed to glow plugs and wont run

ive been checking wiring but it seems to be intermitant fault,works then doesnt

any advice guys?

i read that head temp sensor is wired to it, if this faulty could this be the cause?

could it be a fault at the ignition barrell end?

can i bypass it and just wire a a switch to dashboard,if so how does the relay be wired so it cuts out after 10 secs

really disheartning, so much hard work and althou no where near finished i cud actually start to run around in it whilst i restore refit inside

so looking forward to finally getting to sum club meets/shows and enjoy me first camper

CAN ANYONE HELP,ADVISE, STOP ME SULKING AND MEK ME SMILE AGAIN :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

THANKS

SHREKWOODY

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Re: GLOW...NO GLOW NIGHTMARE,PLEASE HELP!

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

don't panic - this is a relatively simple problem, and it sounds like a loose connection to me. It may be an ignition switch issue, which is causing no 12v signal to the relay or the shutoff solenoid. It may also be the connections to the glow plug relay itself. When you take it out you'll see these pins:

85 earth
86 ignition source - also almost certainly goes to the fuel shutoff solenoid on the pump
30 big fat wire from battery (probably via starter)
87 big fat wires to glow plug
50 starter signal - this is so that the relay cuts out when the engine is turning over - wire shared with solenoid
L - this is to earth the 12v signal sent through the glow plug light
T - this is from the temperature sender to depend the length of glow.

You say you've checked the fuse - I Assume you mean the 50 amp fusible link under the relay.

If you disconnect the wire going to T (usually blue/white I think), then you should get the maximum glow duration. I would do this now to test the rest of the circuit.

I would check you have a good earth going to 85 - if your glow light didn't come on when you think it should, it maybe to do with this.

Also check you have 12v at pin 86 when the ignition is on.

Start there and see how you get on. Good luck with it.

Ewen

shrekwoody
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: GLOW...NO GLOW NIGHTMARE,PLEASE HELP!

Post by shrekwoody »

thanks ewen, going thru the checks now

will update how i get on :ok