AGG Starting problem

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mr cheese
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 0

AGG Starting problem

Post by mr cheese »

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on a small problem I have. My AGG engine is in the van, all piped and wired ready to go. It starts first turn of the key and fires for about 2 seconds before dying. Under closer investigation the spark dissapears. What could be causing this to happen?

The obvious culprit would be the ecu I presume. If it is getting a strange signal from one of the sensors would that cause it to kill the engine?

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions of ways forward I would be very grateful.

I have spotted some corrosion on the crank position sensor wires, and we have followed the wiring diagrams from GaryD which have been a great help. I will go through it all again but I fear I need more inspiration.

Thanks, Oliver.

donciuz
80-90 Mem No: 10995

Re: AGG Starting problem

Post by donciuz »

Sounds like immobiliser problem.
1990 VW Vanagon Westfalia California 1.6TD (now 1.9 TDI 90bhp)

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

have had same on two different AGGs and were same 'issue' but different source of issue.

As has been said above, firing for 2 or 3 seconds is classic immobiliser. Usual vagcom checks, check wiring etc. 5 mins will tell you if it is or not.

Time after that thought it was immobiliser and turned out to be crank position sensor. Tucked right down in a cra9 location behind oil filter. Wiring right at base where it enters sender itself was goosed but covered in oil/grease etc but was quite obviously very poorly!

you installed OBD? vagcom is obvious/easiest place to start.

mr cheese
Trader

Post by mr cheese »

Thanks for the replies. Is the vagcom socket a plug on the loom?

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

have a look at the posts on the thread below where it's pretty clearly described how to wire up an obd2 socket and where to the get the socket from. I can't be sure of the diagnostic wire colour on yours - I suspect it's the same (grey/white) but Elvis'll set you right there:

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=104524" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ewen

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

mr cheese wrote:Thanks for the replies. Is the vagcom socket a plug on the loom?

its connected to the immobiliser (the black box) not seperately from loom/ecu.

mr cheese
Trader

Post by mr cheese »

Hi all,
Thanks for the advice about the immobiliser. I had missed that but all together in my haste. It took about 10 mins to get it running. After finishing the whole install the next day and doing a 50 mile test drive Inone have 2000 km of AGG power with not a drop of oil burnt, not a drop of water lost and oodles of power (my front wheel nuts did come loose though). The performance has been superb. With a full load, kids, roof, camping equipment etc the van has thumped over countless French mountain passes accelerating in 3rd gear on some quite serious gradients! What a change from my JX days. On the way down I also topped 160kmh during the night in very still air. The consumption has been between 22 and 26 mpg but I runninga GTi K&N air filter and have done a lot of mountain passes etc so I am not unhappy with that. I have not been driving economically either as it is too much fun. I can do all that when I am back on the rat run. Out here in the mountains the T3 has come alive.
I can recommend the feeling to any other prospective converters. Thanks again for all the advice.

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Glad it's all worked out okay.
Agreed, it's the best thing that I've had done to my old dear.

I saw a GPS 171kmh the last time I ventured on to the Autobahn.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l