noise help

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sarah123billy
80-90 Mem No: 0

noise help

Post by sarah123billy »

Hi

We are new to the forum, we have a lovley T25 1985 westie LDH origional Sport Joker and we are just appreciating how great it is, we are planning on completley overhauling him this year but we are novice mechanics ( and thats putting it with a massive pinch of salt) its a 1900 petrol 4 speed.

One problem we are having diagnosing is a noise from the back end that only appears evey now and then, it seems to be coming from the drive shaft Cv joint area but its really intermittient but when it hapens it sounds like its a rolling motion knocking sort of noise.

If we wobble the drive shafts it dissapears, my question for help is does anyone know if it is likley to be the shafts or the Cv joints?

Also we seem to be having trouble finding Drive shafts does anyone know or can help on these?

Many thanks and its great to know there are people who have the same passion for their westies any help would be appreciated greatly.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: noise help

Post by colinthefox »

Hello and welcome.

Unusually, no-one replying, so I'll have a go. Firstly, search the wiki, there's often an answer in there.

Your noise does indeed sound like CV joints. They are easily replaceable, but you would re-use the drive shafts. CV joints are available from GSF or Brickwerks, but don't get cheap ones off eBay, as they don't last, and do use new splined bolts, not the hexagonal originals.

Torque setting for the bolts is important, as they will fail quickly otherwise. There's not enough room for a full sized torque wrench under there, so work out what 33 lb ft feels like on the bench, then do them up that tight without the torque wrench under the van.

Ther's a guide to the finer points at http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ge ... nts_repair" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

colinthefox wrote:Unusually, no-one replying
Probably because it needs to be in the Mechanical Forum.....
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

LittleMissSunshine
80-90 Mem No: 10589

Post by LittleMissSunshine »

Hiya from me - total newbie so cannot help but welcome :ok
1988 transporter caravelle Komet. 1.9 petrol.

sarah123billy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by sarah123billy »

thanks colinthefox for your help its appreciated suspected these but not sure, sorry to anone else if i put this in the wrong section !!! hopefully being new this will improve.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Hi and a belated welcome from us in South Cheshire :)

Have you checked the tightness of the drive shaft mounting bolts (both ends). The outer ones are a bit of a sod to get to, ours came loose once and resulted in 3 of them breaking :shock: ( note to self = don't ignore odd noises in future ) I had thought it was a loose wheel but checked that and it wasn't, so I drove on home.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

sarah123billy wrote:thanks colinthefox for your help its appreciated suspected these but not sure, sorry to anone else if i put this in the wrong section !!! hopefully being new this will improve.
No need to apologise, I was just offering an explanation as to why the response was a little thin on the ground :wink:

I can't help either unfortunately :(
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!