1Z Tdi install photo diary

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

futbus
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1266

Re: 1Z Tdi install photo diary

Post by futbus »

Had another go at the injectors yesterday morning, we had a bloody great big slide hammer,and even with that we only managed to move one injector about 3mm. But this is progress and have sprayed some more magic stuff on them to hopefully loosen the alloy corrosion. If this dont work then the whole head may get a soak in vinegar. Few other options after that as really dont think the misses would be to happy if I bring the head home and cook it in the oven. Dont really want to put too much local heat due to metal expansion. Hope to get these out next week as want to get on with stripping the head and start on the rebuilding with everything clean and new.

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by max and caddy »

...its not local heat you need, heat the whole thing up with one of them space heater rocket things, just hot, not melting point as if it was a hot engine maybe 100 degrees, that might just allow the ally to expand and lose its grip on the less expansive (and expensive) steel injectors...i have had some very stuck ones in the past on a cold engine, given up and refitted everthing, blasted up the road and then suceeded with hot head (the car,not me)

The missus would love it, get it nice and smokey in the kithcen then run into the front room and start slide hammering it on rug.. (the head, not the missus!) :rofl

phil miller
80-90 Mem No: 11069

Post by phil miller »

Wow what a thread, great work, can i ask afew questions tho, first up, the flywheel, is it the golf item you mod? if so how much does it cost to have done? Ive just got a diesel T25 (no engine tho :cry: ) i wanna fit a 1Z or AHU can you supply all the parts needed for this? sorry to be a pain
1988 Matt Black, T25 caravelle, Living the dream
Wanted diesel sump and oil pick up PM me if you can help

futbus
Trader

Post by futbus »

Still not alot of spare time to work on this but just before coming home we attacked the injectors again with success :D

One of the injectors No 3 decided to give up and come quietly, but there are 2 still left in the head, but put some more `stuff` on them, so maybe have another go in a couple of days.

Some parts back from the platers finally today (Alex a set will be off to you this week) for the tdi turbo to fit the JX manifold.

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

Pour some brake fluid (best) or diesel on um works a treat for getting um out!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

Shiny things! :ok

still not tryed the hot headed approach dave? what is the "stuff" your using? never used plus gas untill the other week but gotta say it does seem to work...but if the corrosion fuzz has built up nowt is going to be able to get past it to free it up..that injector looks dry at the bottom still too...i have had fun with rusty bolts on jet skis in the past and never yet found anything that can get soaked into the white alloy corrosion fully.

Iceworx
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 5926

Post by Iceworx »

Are they 4 stud to 3stud adapter plates I spy there?

If so how much are they?

thanks

Chris
2006 T5 - LWB T30
www.Realgraffix.co.uk - Custom Vinyl Signs, Decals, Stickers
My T5 Conversion Blog

futbus
Trader

Post by futbus »

Hi Chris, Yes as earlier pics show the adapters from the 3 stud tdi turbo that can be bolted upto the JX exhaust manifold, and the adapter for the exhaust side of the turbo for the exhaust down pipe. The idea is that you can use the tdi turbo from the donor engine and the standard JX parts from the original engine, keeping parts availability standard. We will be putting these onto our webshop soon, see http://www.vwbuses.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more info.

mm289
80-90 Mem No: 9111

Post by mm289 »

Re siezed components, try a 50:50 mix of acetone (nail varnish remover if you are that way inclined :lol: ) and auto trans fluid.

Works wonders as a penetrant/lubricant, slightly better than plus gas.

Cheers,

MM
'89 Autosleeper Trident
2.1 DJ
Member 9111

Roving Rich
80-90 Mem No: 10828

Post by Roving Rich »

Hey Dave great thread.
I have a Tdi fitted (badly ? DIY by previous owner) when I bought my bus. I know very little about what makes it tick, so am watching with interest.
Mine seems to breathe oil through the intercooler pipes, hunts on idle, coughs occasionaly on a long run. But is otherwise Fantastic ! Fuel economy is great, way better than my 20 year newer vito.

To add my 2ps worth to the stuck injector problem. (Vitos suffer from it badly)
Have you considered freezing the injectors themselves ? I use a CO2 pipe freezer at work which will take em down to -30C ish ? So shrink them in the bores and hopefully free them off. No danger of warping the head then. Pipe freezer easily hired from a hire shop, worth a shot.
Or just leave the whole lot soaking in a bath of diesel.

Thanks for the thread
Rich
1986 Yellow Syncro Panel Van camper conversion. 19TDi 1Z Engine conversion

Bazza41

Post by Bazza41 »

What happens to the rest of this diary. Did u finish it ?

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Its a four year old thread mate.And considering its not been updated,i think its fair to say he did not finish it.IIRC the OP fell out with us.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

R0B wrote:.IIRC the OP fell out with us.

IIRC he fell out with everybody.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

Bigjcc55
80-90 Mem No: 10140

Post by Bigjcc55 »

That's a shame I was just getting into it ;)
1985 1.9 Devon moonraker
1992 2.1 SA big window syncro
1991 TDI syncro panel van

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

You wont see him for dust these days...

Sent from my ZX81 with 16k RAM expansion pack