Cosworth 2.9litre in my Crewwy

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Kenny
80-90 Mem No: 478

Post by Kenny »

Is this the cosworth engined blue panel van that the Pete I know owns in Leicestershire by any chance?? If so can either of you tell me what springs and shocks it has on it cos he wasnt exactly sure when I asked him ie make, type, height etc. Pete has taken me out in it and i thought it rode pretty well and I wanted to know...cheers

neil

Post by neil »

IF ITS my old van it had a jk kit 60mm.
NEIL.

Kenny

Post by Kenny »

The springs were red so I guess that adds up?...if it is your old van what were the shocks and did you trim the bump stops? The reason I'm so interested is cos I have a 2.8v6 cologne engined van and the ride is crap compared to Petes.The van I'm on about is LPG'd too, does this sound like yours?

g60steve
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by g60steve »

Yes that's the one.
Judging by how good it drove i'd say the bumpstops had been 'trimmed'.
Have you trimmed the bumpstops on yours?

Kenny

Post by Kenny »

You know I'm not actually sure whether they are trimmed or not! I didnt lower this van it was already done...badly...using the cut and squash technique, and its running standard shocks. I want to replace it all but would like to have a comparison first and Petes seemed good, especially as it has all that 'weight' in the back too like mine!!! I just really wanted to know what shocks were on Petes?

dickspanner
80-90 Mem No: 4641

Post by dickspanner »

Glad to see others talking about said conversion.

Boy oh boy have I had a mind full of information from all angles coming to me about this conversion.

My crewwy is already lowered by 60mm but have not had chance to get near it yet as still working the logistics of the conversion out.

Been in lots of chats with germany, usa and a nutter from plymouth who knows tons and gave me a very indepth chat about the conversion and the work involved and all the pros and cons he has found in his past conversions.

I am hoping to go all out and put all the bells and whistles on it, still in aquisition mode and am currently looking into some rude 18inch alloys to stick some ultra wide skins on, been recomended 295s on rear.

Got all the info on the lpg conversion and am going to stick the skud missle of the tank in the underbody cubbyhole. Would have o have the multi point system rather than the single point, kerching extra 300 on kit but hey hoe gotta spend to have silly toys.

Just praying log book comes back without having to get VOSA involved in inspections etc when finished.

Trying to source a canvas rag bag for it now as well.

Have lots of ideas for my new team truck but got to do a complete desk study on the conversion before i put spanner to nut.

Like i say I will make a complrehensive build story when project starts, still hoping to do conversion in approx 3-4 months, if planned correctly and all info and parts are pre order/sorted.

Silly, expensive and costly choice but I have promised the misses this is the last project I will do except my Cobra and after this (when sold) I will get a normal car.

Team truck will replace my lovely tonka 4x4 and hotrod street racer mini

Mr D Spanner.

Sure I will be back with loads more questions, and updates on project team truck

:)
Crewwy now running a 2.9litre 24V V6 Injection Cosworth motor.Oh the Joy. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmmmmm

0 to loud with a big grin

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Happy happy joy joy

Log book came back today without any hassle.

now officially a 2935cc crewcab

joy
Crewwy now running a 2.9litre 24V V6 Injection Cosworth motor.Oh the Joy. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmmmmm

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Just a quick update.

Cosworth 2.9i V6 24v engine out of the donar car and in the garage being checked over and rebuilt where necessary.

Now looking at installing the full granada wiring harness and when modifying the thing making it so I can easily change it to lhd when i take it to france. (eventual home).

Happy joy

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Ok another question on the crewwy matter.

I have been told a porshe gearbox would be the best option for durability.

Could anybody tell me what porshe gearbox to use, especially a reference number as I want to speak to a couple of porshe breakers etc

cheers

dickspanner.

I will post this question elsewhere as well

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

g60steve
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by g60steve »

Porsche 901 and G50(not cheap!)boxes but a lot of fabrication to fit.
If you're thinking of doing it 'right' why not get a box built from Winkler( http://shop.vw-winkler.de/index.php/cat ... 5320d00939 ) to suit the engines power and torque.The Bluestar VR6 i used to own had such a box fitted and i cannot praise it high enough.The bus drove like a VR6 car,1st gear was actually usable and 70/80mph cruising was at about 3000rpm and still returning 30mpg :D
It is still possible to use the DK 4 speed as i was speaking to Pete,who nows own the Cossy Panel van that Neil built,at Vanfest and he's spoken to someone who says it's the bearings that need beefing up and he was looking into doing just that ready for getting more power out of the V6 :D

Hope this helps :)

Steve.

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Ok, say I got hold of a porsche 901 gearbox, you mention a lot of fabrication to make it fit, is that fabrication in relation to mounting the said item under the car or are we talking driveshafts etc

Cheers

D I C K spanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

In relation to beefing up the DK box, what bearings are we talking about as I am taking the original 5 speed out this weekend and getting my replacement 4 speed, I may as well split it and replace what is needed before I install it with the new motor.

cheers

D I C K Spanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Well blimey, I have just spoke to my engine builder and he has had to buy a spare engine for the rocker cover gaskets, how strange is that. Ford wanted £760 for the pair as they will only sell the rocker covers with the gaskets in place. He has purchase a spare engine for me for £150.

Basically the engine will be ready next week to fit into the crewcab then the hard work begins grafting everything to it.

It is currently having a major amount of bodywork prep done at nights by my body double 8pm till 2am and then in at work at 7am. Ready for the respray next weekend.

Can't wait to see the lump finally installed, will post a couple of piccies when its in.

D I C K spanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

how strange is that

BLOODY STRANGE.

surely that cant be right :?

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »