DT Gearbox Drive Flange Removal

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: DT Gearbox Drive Flange Removal

Post by Aidan »

The paper gasket is essential in preventing corrosion of the mating face of the reverse switch housing and the main case, VW didn't add it till 1987 when they realised that many cases that were coming back as exchange boxes were very poor in that area; due to switch being permanent +ve and case permanent -ve potential, presence of water, road salt and current leakage = corrosion

the nylon bush for the release arm is a site for corrosion too, usually witnessed by fine hard white oxide type build up between bush and case, and a tight shaft, I run that bore through with dremmel with sanding drum, and lube with grease before reassembly, it only takes a few 1000 of corrosion build up to make it a bit tight on the shaft of the fork especially with new bush and good shaft

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

Yes I have dressed out the bore, because I had all the problems that you mentioned.

My friend mentioned coating the paper gasket on both sides with either vaseline or grease.
Apparently the grease or vaseline soaks into the gasket causing a seal for the oil.

I coated both sides of the gasket with lithium grease.
Hence the black seam between the castings.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

the o ring does the sealing, paper gasket is just for corrosion prevention