Crankcase pressure

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mick.source
80-90 Mem No: 15219

Crankcase pressure

Post by Mick.source »

Took my T25 JX round the block this morning to test as i have blue/white smoke coming from the exhaust, the engine starts first time and sits there ticking over with no smoke. When i put i foot down and put the engine under some load (slight hill) i get clouds of smoke. The smoke dosent immediately settle when i de accelerate  and still smokes when idling for some time. 
When the engine was up to temperature i removed the rocker breather and saw an oily mist, so i stuck my thumb in the hole and noticed that there was a lot of pressure, when i removed my thump  i could hear pressure release. There was also oil coming out of the dip stick tube. At first i thought it was blow by so i removed the inlet pipe from the turbo thinking that this would stop the smoke but it didn't even drove it round the block with this pipe disconnected, but still clouds of smoke, is there any other way that oil can enter the combustion chamber apart from the air inlet.
I have previously done a compression test all cylinders were even and about 350 psi with a cold engine i thought this was ok as i have had the block re bored, new pistons and rings.
Really want to solve this problem as i have had it now for about eighteen months, or is it time i looked for a new engine????

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Crankcase pressure

Post by multisi »

Does the smoke issue go away when the engine is fully warmed up.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Mick.source

Post by Mick.source »

No if i leave ticking over for some time the smoke does disappear until i put it under load gain.

Mick.source

Post by Mick.source »

Gets worse when warm

muttleypup
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by muttleypup »

Definitely not overfilled oil (4.5litres) due to dipstick reading wrong?
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

Mick.source

Post by Mick.source »

Oil level is in between marks on stick, still have the original container with about 1/2 litre in.
So just started it up first time in two days, start immediately and goes into a lovely idle, no smoke at all.
Looked at the breather unit on top of the rocker cover obviously sealed unit i can blow through both pipe connections, no restriction.

How can it run so sweet then under load really smoke, how can oil get in the combustion chamber if the inlet pipe from the turbo is disconnected.