T3 Aircooled oil change question

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

VrindaVan
80-90 Mem No: 17624

T3 Aircooled oil change question

Post by VrindaVan »

Hey y’all,

I was thinking if it’s really needed to take out the whole sump plate, screen + gaskets at every oilchange, I mean there is the nut in the middle of the plate to just get the oil out.

My question is if it would be okay to maybe just change the oil and oil filter and every other oilchange take out the plate, clean screen and put in fresh gaskets.

What do you think, or is it essential to clean that screen every 5000kms? (the interval I change the oil)

It’s a Aircooled T3 1600CT engine :)
1981 Aircooled vanagon 
Truckin’ like the doodah man

matteo
80-90 Mem No: 16689

Re: T3 Aircooled oil change question

Post by matteo »

Hi,

I clean the screen and gaskets every two or three oil changes. I've been running an a/c 2 litre for many years and all seems well with this approach.

1980 2l CU Aircooled; left-hand drive - now officially a historic vehicle!

VrindaVan
80-90 Mem No: 17624

Re: T3 Aircooled oil change question

Post by VrindaVan »

matteo wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 11:53 Hi,

I clean the screen and gaskets every two or three oil changes. I've been running an a/c 2 litre for many years and all seems well with this approach.

Hi man, thanks for letting me know, its just that last oil change have left me with 0 oil drips so it would be nice to just swap the oil out and keep the gaskets in place ect until the next oil and filter change 😄 just to start the summer roadtrip oil drop free haha
1981 Aircooled vanagon 
Truckin’ like the doodah man