Gearbox caput?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

VRS
80-90 Mem No: 15758

Gearbox caput?

Post by VRS »

1983 1.9td 4 speed box. Was driving at 50mph with trailer and quite suddenly a loud rumbling noise. Pulled into layby and couldn't see anything obvious. Continued on but harsh noise only in 4th gear. My daughter came to the rescue and towed trailer to race meeting and then home again. Picked up van yesterday and made it home the 60 miles using 3 gears. There is a tinkling noise in those gears but no harsh rumbling. So, anyone know what the fault is? And can I fix it or is it toast?

T25boy71
80-90 Mem No: 16913

Re: Gearbox caput?

Post by T25boy71 »

Give Malcom a call he can advise repair rebuild he a good guy CV365EH postcode 
Vw T25 1.9 TD Z1 hightop rusty but Less rusty than when I got it. lol: 😊

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

I would recommend checking through the linkage thoroughly and then dropping the oil to see what the drain plug magnet reveals - no one will be able to guess what the issue is - you have a non standard engine with an unknown gearbox, and no history, it could literally be anything

VRS

Post by VRS »

Thanks for swift response. I did try to undo the fill plug to put some oil in before I drove it home but without success. Will get it up on some ramps to have another go and look at the linkage. What might be broken there?

VRS

Post by VRS »

ImageImageImage

Okay got the oil out, less than 2 litres in there. Magnet had soft shavings on it but also what looks like a piece of cog about 5mm long and about 2mm thick. The selector mechanism looks to be in good shape from the front to the gearbox including where it goes through the cross member bush. To be fair I have had no problems selecting the gears. There's a length adjustment halfway along should I try that? One thing I forgot to mention is it sometimes jumps out of 1st gear on over run. Not put oil in yet to try it out with the correct level. Hopefully Aiden especially will have a clue. Luckily I do have a 5 speed diesel box in a basket case T3 but not relishing a swap.

VRS

Post by VRS »

By the way I used a Triumph Spitfire wheel nut with a 9/16 socket to get the filler plug off. Perfect tool if you happen to have one of those lying around!

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Why would you start making adjustments to the linkage if all gears selected easily? Be methodical.
That little piece you found is most likely a bit of synchro dog, they do come off the synchro hub on boxes that have had a hard time, its a known thing to happen.
Only two litres in the box is not a good sign, but why it is noisy only in top is one for the experts who are familiar with the internals.
Swapping the gearbox isn't an epic job, doable solo with a big trolley jack and ramps.

VRS

Post by VRS »

Cheers, point's taken. I do have some ramps and a medium size trolley jack but my 69 year old body ain't looking forward to it.

VRS

Post by VRS »

Put some oil in it and tried it out. As expected still the same although less noisy. Gearbox coming out then, manana, probably......