replacing silencer - tips?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Shinnster
80-90 Mem No: 17392

replacing silencer - tips?

Post by Shinnster »

Hi all,

I am trying to replace my rusty hole filled silencer on my 1.9 dg and after any tips or hints really. bare in mind i'm on my driveway with the van on the floor not jacked up.
after taking the best part of 2 hours to cut the 3 bolts off holding the silencer box to the other pipe (lack of access and a tiny hacksaw didn't make it easy!) i then struggled to get the silencer out from where it sat due to the brackets holding the box in place.
I ended up having to undo the top bolt of each bracket and bent the bracket down a smidge , enough to let me brute force it out sideways towards the tailpipe side.

now i can tell putting the newer one on is going to be an issue.
should i try to slide the new silencer in from the side with some force? or would it be easier in the long run to remove the 2 brackets completely and fit the box and 2 straps onto the brackets and then try to refit the brackets with exhaust already attached?
if i slide it in from the side i cant see a way of getting the 2 retaining straps round the box onto the brackets.

if someones done this and found it an easy job, please give me all your helpful tips :)
thanks in advance!

1988 1.9 DG, 4 speed Tin top with double sliders.

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: replacing silencer - tips?

Post by TONYT25T25 »

My van came with a new SS fitted, I noticed the box had no support spart from a couple of hangers on either side, there were a couple of what looked like supports in the spares box thst should fit around the silencer but with no place to secure them to on the engine/body. There was only one hanger/support at the tailpipe end, so for good measure I put another one on the other side of the box. Similar to this.Halfords Exhaust Mount (EXHT116)
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Shinnster

Post by Shinnster »

thanks for the reply,
so yours didnt have the 2 brackets attached to the engine that the silencer sits on?
am gonna give it a go at the weekend to see if i can get it fitted, if not its off to my local garage and see if they can do it.

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Exactly, no place to secure them to on the engine, believe this is quite common dependant on engine type.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

I fit one bracket nearest link pipe. Rest silencer on it. Then fit second bracket on right side with silencer supported by a jack or axle stand.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Shinnster

Post by Shinnster »

new silencer fitted, what an effort it was to get to the bracket bolts while lying on my back on the drive!! you need tiny kid hands or something for this job!
anyway, onto the next job now as carbs started leaking :(