1.6 diesel power issue

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Murphdog
80-90 Mem No: 0

1.6 diesel power issue

Post by Murphdog »

Hi everyone, I'm new here, I've got a 1987 1.6 diesel that I've owned for a year.
It's so underpowered it's dangerous sometimes, can anyone recommend tuning options, I'm hoping for a 20-30 hp gain.

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: 1.6 diesel power issue

Post by clift_d »

Is it a 1.6 TD (Turbo Diesel) JX, or a 1.6 NA (Normally Aspirated) CA?

With the 1.6TD a good start would be to ensure it's properly serviced so that its running properly. Then I'd suggest adding an oil cooler before you try things like an intercooler, or add a bit of extra boost, but be aware that's it's never going to be 'nippy'. For extra info, your best bet is probaby to check out the forums at vwdiesel.net, and Brickwerks have a lot of the parts you'll need.

With the 1.6NA, there are some people who are happy with it, although again you need to ensure it's serviced properly, but a lot of people simply switch them out for a 1.9Y NA.

With both these engines you need to make sure you don't shoot yourself in the foot with your gear ratios, e.g. by fitting super large tyres.
Last edited by clift_d on 10 Jan 2023, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

The only way to get a 50% increase in turbo diesel hp - which is a BIG hike - would be with a chargecooler and a reworked pump as Oettinger used to do. They got the JX up to 90PS...that will be a complicated and expensive exercise and its very old school.
Or go TDI but the transmission will need a full upgrade. Even more expensive.
Or put a 2litre 8 valve AGG petrol from a Mk3 Golf and enjoy it. Its a direct swap for the diesel block so makes for a cheap straightforward conversion and your mpg will be no worse according to all real world accounts.

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

As above.
And I would consider going 1.9 SDI from a polo mk3 (6N) with a standalone harness.
The problem with these old engines is they are drying up and hard to find.

Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

If a 1.6 non turbo - you have the most underpowered snail ever. They are well known for slowing on inclines.

I recall years ago my turbo stopped on my JX. I was driving up the M1 on a long drive and had about 5 junctions left.

Total loss of oomph power and going up hills I had huge trucks shooting up behind honking the horns. It was scary I was slowing to 30-40 mph with black fumes coming out the back.

Eventually got home and next day. I removed the pipe work to the turbo, spun the turbo by hand and it was fine and has been ever since.

So of its a na 1.6 I know the feeling.
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love

Paul773car
80-90 Mem No: 17371

Post by Paul773car »

I have a 1.6 na diesel. When I first bought it to be honest it was painfully slow.

Now it's much better. Now I'm not recommending you do all these things as there are risks involved but it's what I did.

First check your air filter is clean.

Check if your fuel line is restricted. Mine was ruined and the internal diameter of the lines was only a few mm in places I replaced it and it made an immediate difference

Check you are getting full throttle when operating the pedal, mine was only giving 3/4 max.

Advance your timing mine was 0.88mm I now have it at 0.96mm (don't go too far as can be dangerous)

Turn up your fuel screw, someone must of been messing with mine as it was way too low. (Again go easy 1/4 turn at a time, if you get smoke turn it back down) and maybe get an egt gauge fitted to be safe.

Modify your diesel pump governer to maintain fuelling higher up the rev range ( I'm not giving instructions as I don't want to be responsible if you kill your engine but there are instruction on here) if you do this then you definitely need that exhaust gas temp gauge to be safe

I haven't had it rolling roaded but it's significantly better than it was before. Don't get me wrong it ain't a fast car but now I feel relatively safe pulling onto a motorway or dual carriageway and hills are much more manageable.

Good luck with it

Paul