Clutch slave cylinder replace and bleed

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nicktennear
80-90 Mem No: 8931

Clutch slave cylinder replace and bleed

Post by nicktennear »

I've just changed the slave cylinder (it did not want to come out but did after I drove the whole van into a swimming pool of Plusgas and left it for three months. Or that's how it felt.) Now I have to bleed it and Haynes says I can do it like the brakes but other guides say this won't do it. What do you think?
1983 Reg 1.9 DF, mostly Devon. Wave on your way past.

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Re: Clutch slave cylinder replace and bleed

Post by jrt »

When I did mine I just did the usual, crack open the bleed with a pipe into a bottle ,pedal down(and hold) close the bleed, pedal up and repeat but then I was informed that if you open the bleed screw and leave it will self bleed.
Just watch the fluid level doesn’t drop too low.
David.
the future is unwritten

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

just gravity bleed it, make sure reservoir is topped up, you can use a syphon bottle and length of hose to save spilling brake fluid all over the bracket and gearbox and just crack the bleed nipple a little bit and watch the fluid till it runs clear with no air bubbles in it then tighten nipple and put rubber cap back on; no need to press the pedal at all or do that 'up, open, down, closed' malarky with 2 people ime

nicktennear
80-90 Mem No: 8931

Post by nicktennear »

Thanks, I couldn't see that it would be complicated but that can sometimes be a downfall with one of these. I've recently experienced changing the thermostat in an early system which now qualifies me to perform heart surgery while held upside down over sharks. On fire.
1983 Reg 1.9 DF, mostly Devon. Wave on your way past.