Engine battery drain?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Re: Engine battery drain?

Post by Robsey »

The thing about the red wire depends upon where your battery is located. - just to explain my red herring comment.

I know it is a diesel variant now (1.9 TCD)... but was it a diesel originally or a petrol ?

The reasoning being that a diesel red wire feeds from the engine bay junction box to the cab fusebox.
(From the back to the front)
Therefore it would be almost meaningless to find a drain on a wire that feeds the whole fusebox.

The petrol red wire feeds from the cab fusebox to the rear engine bay junction box
(From the front to the back).
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

Bison535
80-90 Mem No: 15671

Post by Bison535 »

Thanks guys for all your input :ok
  My drain fault was the Radio, having pulled out No3 Fuse, so guess ill have to put a separate power/on/off switch to the radio !

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

Just a step back...
Is it definitely the radio?

As said earlier - both the cab lights and the cigarette lighter share fuse 3 with the radio.

The only way to rule out the radio definitively, is to completely unplug the radio's own connector...
Not just pulling fuse 3.

Apologies if I am flogging the point, but it is worth mentioning for those who are not as confident about their van's electrics.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

Bison535
80-90 Mem No: 15671

Post by Bison535 »

Yes, I unplugged the Radio (removed the radio ! ) and the 'drain' on the battery has ceased  :ok

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

Some radios don't like their red and yellow connected together to a permenent live and they are always on, they don't go to sleep.
I've always prfered to run them with an ignition live (15 / Black) to make sure that they power down properly.
I appreciate that some people want to run their radio whilst parked as do i so I have a small toggle switch one position for normal driving, one position for camping.
The radio power connected to the leisure battery and the ignition live run through the switch.
This way the radio power is always from leisure battery so if it's left on, no worries.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks