Leisure battery problem

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

cicciopasticcio
80-90 Mem No: 0

Leisure battery problem

Post by cicciopasticcio »

Hi guys, I have a problem with the leisure battery of my just bought T3 Westfalia. When I bought it the panel above the fridge marked as low, then in a couple of days (not using it) no more lights on the panel so I checked the battery voltage and it’s 6.4v 😫 what’s more… it doesn’t change when I turn on the engine or when I connect the external 220v plug.
Is it a dead battery or a dead BBB? Any suggestion? The van starts without any problem so I guess the main battery is ok

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Re: Leisure battery problem

Post by Smiffo »

You should be able to test the charging voltage when connected to mains, or when van is running.

If it looks low, then the battery has failed due to being ran too low after non-charging.
If the charging voltage looks good, then it is just a new battery you need.

You need a new battery anyway, but it is a good idea to check charging voltage to make sure you don't kill the new one.
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

cicciopasticcio

Thanks for your reply.

I checked the voltage when the van was connected to the mains and it was still 6.4v , no change. The same with engine running.

Probably an issue with the charging circuit right?

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

cicciopasticcio wrote: 28 Aug 2022, 20:21 Thanks for your reply.

I checked the voltage when the van was connected to the mains and it was still 6.4v , no change. The same with engine running.

Probably an issue with the charging circuit right?
Hmmm.

Honestly, I'm not sure if a severely compromised battery could drag down the charging voltage.
Perhaps someone a little more electrically minded would chip in.

You could try a known good battery as a test?
Pop it in, start the van and test the charging voltage at that point.

If still poor, then yes, start looking at the charging circuit for your leisure battery. ( Start with obvious fuses. )

'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

cicciopasticcio

Thanks again.

Tomorrow I will try with another good battery and see what happens.

Could you please tell me where are all the fuses involved in the charging circuit? I think there may be one in the BBB under the back seat, but is it the only one?

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

I would imagine it is Westy specific. ( Different builds would have utilised their own schemes. )

Checking the Wiki page on here quickly, I managed to dig this out.
I'm not sure how much it helps - with old vans it isn't unusual for people to have altered bits.

https://club8090.co.uk/wiki/Camping_Int ... y_charging
'89 1.9 DG

cicciopasticcio

Thanks. Yes it is an original Westy.

Morning update… I checked the BBB and the fuse inside is ok. Then tried “jump starting” the old leasure battery and everything works fine but still not charging. So I wanted to take out the battery and check the relay (and change the battery) but I don’t know how to take the battery out. Do I have to take the driver seat out? 😓

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

The leisure battery should be under the UK passenger seat. (LHD driver's seat).

Taking out the relevant seat would make access a lot easier .
or simply slide the seat further forward than usual, past the stop until you feel that you can get unrestricted access to the battery area.

I would disconnect the ground (negative) wire from the main battery (under the right side seat) anyway whilst you work on the van electrics.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

cicciopasticcio

Thanks. I tried to slide it forward as much as possible but the thing that doesn’t let me take the battery out is the metal plate under the seat. I even tried to rotate the seat but even rotating it the metal plate is blocking the battery.

The van is a LHD Westfalia
Last edited by cicciopasticcio on 29 Aug 2022, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.

jude
80-90 Mem No: 17531

Post by jude »

Did you manage to get the battery out? I'm having the same problem - my passenger seat won't slide back or forward which I suspect isn't helping! Would rather avoid taking the whole thing out if I can

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Some seats have a safety device on the runners to stop the seat from sliding off, have a good look at this area. A meter on the battery with the engine running should show a higher reading if all circuitry is functioning.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Robsey

Post by Robsey »

The early owner's manual shows you how to remove the seat - taken from a 1983 booklet.

Lift lever No1 to slide the seat fully forward to the stop.

Then lift lever No3, whilst lifting No1 to pull the seat off the front of the runners.

The later booklets with rotatable Captain-style seats is not as easy to figure out.
But I believe it is the same lever to rotate the seat, as it is to release the seat from the stop.

jude
80-90 Mem No: 17531

Post by jude »

Robsey wrote: 11 Sep 2022, 10:07 The early owner's manual shows you how to remove the seat - taken from a 1983 booklet.

Lift lever No1 to slide the seat fully forward to the stop.

Then lift lever No3, whilst lifting No1 to pull the seat off the front of the runners.

The later booklets with rotatable Captain-style seats is not as easy to figure out.
But I believe it is the same lever to rotate the seat, as it is to release the seat from the stop.

Cheers for this. Had a go on mine, managed to get it sliding but the bottom plate is still blocking the battery (it is a twisting seat, not sure if original as I've only had her a week!). I can't think how to get it out without unscrewing it - I tried, but couldn't turn the hex keys.

I'm sure I must be missing something obvious.

Robsey

Post by Robsey »

Okey doke -

The twisty-turny version ..
From the 1987 user manual