Air Intake Boot......Newbie

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

GrahamL
80-90 Mem No: 12887

Air Intake Boot......Newbie

Post by GrahamL »

Hi,
Just noticed open end of the air intake boot to my engine ( diesel ) just lays in a void behind the near side rear light cluster......is this correct.
Regards
Graham
Atlantic Hightop,1.6td
Saab 96 two stroke
Saab 99 GL
Saab 9-3
Saab 9-5 Aero Sportswagon

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: Air Intake Boot......Newbie

Post by Titus A Duxass »

No.
Which diesel is it?
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Post by discipleofsketch »

It was the same on my 1.6d, I only learned recently that it is supposed to attach to a piece of duct that runs up to an air intake snorkel (looks like a hoover attachment) hidden behind the nearside air vent. With this correctly fitted, engine noise should be considerably reduced.

I'm the process of fabricating something for mine, though I now have a different air filter set-up on the tdi conversion.
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

I've taken mine out today because it was broken and very noisy.
Here's what it should look like in the van (but minus the big zip tie which is holding the bellows together)............x

And here's what it looks like without the van!
The corrugated pipe goes up the left hand side air duct, and there is an air intake moulding at the top just behind the grill.

The bellows is part No 068129967A, and as far as I know is unavailable new, and any second hand ones are going to be just as knackered as mine.
There is very little room to make up a new bellows, so I am going to replace the big plastic box elbow with a 90x76mm silcone hose reducing elbow with a 76 mm hose joiner, then use squashed 76mm air hose to connect from that to the air filter box. I'll report back when I've done it, but it won't be for a week or so.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Post by discipleofsketch »

cheers colinthefox - so does the elbow or bellows have any drainage for any water that might sneak in? Although now i've had a proper look at the intake duct behind the vent I can see that barely any will get in under normal circumstances.
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

colinthefox

Post by colinthefox »

The elbow has a couple of strategically placed holes to let water out. I'll be incorporating drainage into whatever I make up too.

GrahamL

Post by GrahamL »

Hi,
I have had a better look today and all of the past posts are correct except...........

My air filter box is cylinderical and in the engine bay.
The connecting flexible pipe ( looks like a cylindrical sponge !!!!!!) between the steel circular air intake branch from the filter box and the plastic duct which as mentioned returns vertically up in the inside of the rear pillar - has come adrift.
This pipe does not seem to want to fit onto the circular inlet branch .

Oh the engine is a turbo JX.
Regards
Graham
Atlantic Hightop,1.6td
Saab 96 two stroke
Saab 99 GL
Saab 9-3

colinthefox

Post by colinthefox »

GrahamL wrote:Oh the engine is a turbo JX.

In which case everything I've posted is irrelevant to your situation.

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

I had the same with my jx. The spongy connector from the filter to the vertical pipe had several splits in it, and wasn't connected to the vertical pipe. The vertical pipe wasn't connected at the top end either , and was so degraded that I could not even see through it to the other end when I took it out. It is made of plastic, wire mesh to help it keep its oval shape that fits so well in the space on the bodywork, and is lined in nice durable cardboard. Replacements in silicon are available from brickworks for both pipes, and I think you can get an original plastic, wore and cardboard one from one oth the suppliers too. I noticed in the photos above that the horizontal connecting pipe had a bracket suspending it. Needless to say mine didn't, and I don't know if it should have done originally, or if that was unique to the NA 1.6d. Without it it is tricky to get it all to hang together, but I managed with zip ties and a big jubilee clip. Apparently this makes the intake quieter, but as there is so much noise from other sources I can't say I noticed! But it is breathing clean fresh air now, has to be better!
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/a ... iesel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/i ... illar.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/i ... -2503.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other parts suppliers are available...

GrahamL

Post by GrahamL »

Hi,
Thanks for all of your help.
Will sort out these items, on investigation the final piece which connects the spungy section to the inlet branch looks as if it is to be a hard plastic elbow?
Regards
Graham
Atlantic Hightop,1.6td
Saab 96 two stroke
Saab 99 GL
Saab 9-3

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

I think so, from memory.

magictricky
80-90 Mem No: 14540

Post by magictricky »

Mine is the same as the picture you have posed Colin. The boot tends to perish and the tube frays and comes off. I've taken mine out and coated the boot in silicon rubber. I'll simply buy a new one sometime but wanted to have a play. It's probably all about ensuring it's all secure as the vibration tends to work it all loose. Mine was certainly not secured!

Negativegravity
80-90 Mem No: 10992

Post by Negativegravity »

colinthefox wrote: 04 Nov 2014, 15:33 I've taken mine out today because it was broken and very noisy.
Here's what it should look like in the van (but minus the big zip tie which is holding the bellows together)............x

And here's what it looks like without the van!
The corrugated pipe goes up the left hand side air duct, and there is an air intake moulding at the top just behind the grill.

The bellows is part No 068129967A, and as far as I know is unavailable new, and any second hand ones are going to be just as knackered as mine.
There is very little room to make up a new bellows, so I am going to replace the big plastic box elbow with a 90x76mm silcone hose reducing elbow with a 76 mm hose joiner, then use squashed 76mm air hose to connect from that to the air filter box. I'll report back when I've done it, but it won't be for a week or so.

Ok, sorry to dig up this old thread, but I have just realised that despite owning my van for 10 years, I am missing all of these parts, including the corrugated boot.

I can find the book on Brickwerks, but does anyone have the pet numbers for the remaining bits?

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »