Advice please

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DCH
80-90 Mem No: 0

Advice please

Post by DCH »

Hello

Offered a really nice set of newly powder coated merc alloys ..... 16s ET31 6.5j 66.1 bore with nearly new Michelin Energy tyres 195/55/16...: would those in the (definite) know please tell me these would fit my 86 panel van, as it truly would complete my life

Thank you
DCH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Re: Advice please

Post by ash1293 »

Wheels should fit ok with those specs but the tyres are probably not rated for the weigh of the van and are about 5% smaller than stock 185R14c
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

DCH

Post by DCH »

Good and bad news then

Thanks for the reply

DCH

DCH

Post by DCH »

And just another quick question, what tyre size recommendations for these wheels? and would longer and / or new studs be required ?

Also , If it’s too much of a faff I may just refurb the original steels, OR hunt down merc steels in 15 or 16. Will be going through Subaru conversion in future and I’m thinking a little lift isn’t a bad thing with if I’m not intending to do anything with the standard sump for a start.

Again, any and all input and advice welcome. Decisions decisions

Many thanks

DCH

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

DCH wrote:And just another quick question, what tyre size recommendations for these wheels? and would longer and / or new studs be required ?

Also , If it’s too much of a faff I may just refurb the original steels, OR hunt down merc steels in 15 or 16. Will be going through Subaru conversion in future and I’m thinking a little lift isn’t a bad thing with if I’m not intending to do anything with the standard sump for a start.

Tyre size will always bring up different answers from different people. A lot will depend on ride height, lowered, standard, raised, gear ratios and overall health/power of your engine.

If going for a subaru conversion you will have a little more power on tap so you could theoretically get away with a little taller, 205/70/16 or 215/65/16 will not be too wide and will be around 5% taller so reduce your revs slightly at a given speed. However on a tired DF/DG you may find changing down more on the hills.

You would have to check if wheels are ball or tapered fittings, then offer them up. At that point you'll know if longer studs/bolts are needed. Most alloys are thicker where the olt passes through than steel so I would say it is quite likley you will need longer hardware.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

DCH

Post by DCH »

Ash ... your advice and the time taken to reply is greatly appreciated thank you

DCH

DCH

Post by DCH »

So the alloys have been purchased, confirm they are Merc Ronals 16 with an ET 37.

Getting ahead of myself again Sk apologies, but has anyone have these alloys on their bus and can advise what’s needed, bolts studs and nuts? Hopefully no spacers required. I haven’t offered these alloys up to the bus as yet. Is it best to buy through brickwerks or JK, or pick these up on eBay 2nd hand ?

Cheers
DCH