Make a T25 safe for kids!

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Richardspain
80-90 Mem No: 0

Make a T25 safe for kids!

Post by Richardspain »

We've just bought a 1983 Westfalia T25. We have 2 girls 9 and 11 (they don't use car seats) and we're wondering how to make it as safe as possible for them in the back ...

Someone has suggested harnesses but I'm not convinced 3 point seatbelts (https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/rear-seatbelt-kit-t3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) seem to be the best option but I've been told they are not much use without headrests ...

Any ideas?

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: Make a T25 safe for kids!

Post by davidoft1 »

Adding headrests is a very good idea and 3 point belts too

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

Our two are a similar age - we have two 3-point belts fitted and use them with Westy headrests, which seems to work well enough.

Both the 3-point belts are fitted from the sliding door side - one using the Brickwerks kit which bolts into fixing points that are in the wall of the van, and the other further from the door we had fitted by Seatbelt Service similar to the one on the right in the image below

Fitting both belts from the sliding door side avoids the problem of trying to get a fixing for the seatbelt back through the wardrobe.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

I use a nearly identical setup to that above, but had never thought about headrest. Intrigued - could you show details??

My second 3point (ie in the centre of the van, ) uses two receivers so can be unhooked for sleeping when the rock and roll is down.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

clift_d

Post by clift_d »

You can see the headrests in this picture from westfaliat3

They're not super comfortable but they allow our kids to prop a pillow behind their heads. I believe they were standard kit in the Club Joker - I don't know about other Westy models. In any case they were already fitted in our van when we got it.

JackE
80-90 Mem No: 12479

Post by JackE »

I have a very similar set up to the one above, I use the brickwerk kit on one side and then got http://www.safetybeltservices.co.uk/ to make up the belt for the other side which I installed using brickwerks mounts. The belt I got made up was based on the below, please not that the buckles are probably a bit too long as is the seat belt if you go down this route I would recommend measuring carefully depending on your seat setup and exactly where you are going to plan to mount the seats.

In mid 2018 http://seatbeltservice.co.uk/ quoted between £260-£280 +VAT to fit a similar seat belt to the one shown above this included them coming to anywhere within the M25.

In terms of child seats we found https://incarsafetycentre.co.uk to be very helpful please note you need to ring to make an appointment and it is worth confirming your type of vehicle so they can make sure they have the correct seat and person available to help.

I have a https://www.vwrustylee.com/vw-beds/ and would be interested if anyone has any ideas on how to fit headrests.
1.9 DG petrol and open loop LPG Autosleeper Hightop. 1988

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

clift_d wrote:You can see the headrests in this picture from westfaliat3

Thanks, I’m sure something will be possible, not sure when I’ll be in a position to have a go tho
:ok
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

Just_Kitt
80-90 Mem No: 16672

Post by Just_Kitt »

My van is used by just us grown ups 90% of the time, but I have one 3 point seat belt set up in the back (furthest right of the bench seat attached to the wall) and head rests encase I ever need to take little ones.

I don't like the look all that much so the 3 point is strapped back against the wall (and down under the bench seat) and the head rests come out and are left at home most of the time. Definitely worth having them, but they don't need to ruin the look of the van if you are clever and make sure they can be removed / hidden for shows etc.!
GokVan: 1990 LHD, Pop-Top, Golf GTI 2.0L engine running duel Petrol and LPG.
Instagram: @Gok_Van

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

How are those headrests attached? I hadn't thought about them as the kids were small but they ain't any more.
Honorary "Dave" 

clift_d

Post by clift_d »

They fit just like a normal car headrest. A couple of plastic collar inserts for each headrest in the top of the seats with spring loaded catches, and headrest 'legs' which have notches in them which these catches engage.

Born Too Late
80-90 Mem No: 14236

Post by Born Too Late »

Sir Brixalot wrote:How are those headrests attached? I hadn't thought about them as the kids were small but they ain't any more.

I bought a couple of these from Campervan Culture for my rear headrests:

https://campervanculture.com/shop/vw-t2 ... ation-kit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They've been out of stock for a while but you might be able to get some from the US. The Samba has a couple of theads on fitting them

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... p?t=303299" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... order=desc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ziggy Starbus-1988 Autosleeper high top 2.1 injection
Lola-1977 Triumph Spitfire

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Thanks for those links. Very interesting
Honorary "Dave" 

petethefeet
80-90 Mem No: 12639

Post by petethefeet »

We have a Devon with an original back seat/R&R bed, I welded some tubes into the existing frame with some detent sprung catches that hold the VW head rests in place. To use the bed you lift out the head rests.
Very similar to the CC kit.
The tube used is from B&Q about 5/8" squareImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
1982 2 litre CU Auto Devon Moonraker called Brian

Richardspain

Post by Richardspain »

Thanks everyone. That is super helpful.

Richardspain

Post by Richardspain »

All done! 2 headrests from the scrap yard and 2 seatbelts from brickwerks. Kids are happy. Thanks everyone for their help! Image