A very basic question about paint

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Michael4
80-90 Mem No: 16731

A very basic question about paint

Post by Michael4 »

When I were a nipper we would touch up or paint bits of our cars with brushing cellulose. There was knack to it but results could be acceptable and it was easy to rub down to a great finish. One of the main reasons for using cellulose was that when the time came (which it never did) to get the thing resprayed there wouldn't be any bad reaction with the new coat.

What to do in this day and age?

I've got a winter of seam tidying coming up and rattle cans are not the greatest solution, all that masking, fiddling and a thin coat or blocked nozzles in the end.

I want to use a brush and I can't see myself buying a box full of those little touch up thingies.

So question is, what sort of paint am I looking for and where can I get it? At the most half a litre, preferably in smaller containers, and compatible with whatever is likely to be used when I get the thing resprayed in the distant future.

Late 1985 Transporter based Moonraker, VW L90D Pastel White I'm guessing, no paint sticker to be found. The white used up until mid '86 when it changes to Arctic White

Thanks in advance
1985 1.9 DG Devon Moonraker with solid sided pop top

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Re: A very basic question about paint

Post by fazzer »

I suppose the obvious is rustoleum,my van has same code as yours and I use rattle cans from jawels paints they mix it there and then and good its quality paint ,it keeps my van looking tidy till I get round to full repaint.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

I use 2 pack in a spray can which I get fom my local paint factors (ketts). Far superior to the commercially available
cans you get from Halfords and Motor accessory stores, etc. A clear top coat is only required if you are using metallic based colours. Check to see if you have a local automtive paint supplier. If spraying in an enclosed space then use a mask, this applies to most paints anyway.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

adie89
80-90 Mem No: 11532

Post by adie89 »

Most don’t use cellulose paint anymore, the dust is nasty stuff and it does tend to react with modern paints.
Another thumbs up for 2k rattle cans from your paint factor. It doesn’t need lacquer and eliminates the need for separate hardeners, spray gun, air line.
Greta: 85’ LHD 2.5L Subaru 14in Syncro
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165773

Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Thanks, just looked these up, new to me (which just goes to show how old I am!).

Will have a go.

Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Another question. How long does a 2k rattle can last once it has been mixed?

Tiny-T3
80-90 Mem No: 16694

Post by Tiny-T3 »

I have a few tins that are 5 years + and they are still ok.

As long as you give them a really good shake I give it to my hyper 5 year old with the lid taped on and just tell her when to stop shaking it usually about 5 minutes vs the usual two.
87' T3 DRK Katastrophenschutz.

adie89
80-90 Mem No: 11532

Post by adie89 »

Some 2k cans have a button in the bottom that releases the activator into the paint. You’ll get best finish and fastest drying with these, but only hours of life. Normal rattle cans vary, top tip turn it upside down and spray out the nozzle to stop it blocking with paint once finished
Greta: 85’ LHD 2.5L Subaru 14in Syncro
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165773

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

My van is Pastel White but check if your paint supplier had two VW shades listed, L90D and L90D light. I use L90D light which matches the original perfectly, the standard L90D is a bit too 'cream' for my van.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior