No interior lights working

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bkandj
80-90 Mem No: 11382

No interior lights working

Post by bkandj »

First of all, I have very little knowledge of how the electrics work in my van.

The interior lights aren't working. I've had the leisure battery on charge via the hookup cable for about 3 hours and still no joy. The main switches & trip switch are all in the 'on' position. I just looked to see if it was a fuse - I think the lights are on an 8amp white fuse? Does that sound right? I could only find a few fuses knocking about in the glove compartment none made any difference but I guess they could be old dud ones discarded by someone previously (odd dud fuses look any different??). The only new ones I have are red and blue.

So, obviously I'll try to get fuses tomorrow morning before we head off to Wales but I thought I'd see what you lovely people had to say first.

Would 3-4 hours charge of the leisure battery be enough? The lights didn't work even when the hookup was plugged in so I'm guessing it is more likely the fuse, or something else...? The plug socket was charging my phone fine so the power was getting through and the battery charging light was on.

Any advice appreciated!

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: No interior lights working

Post by 937carrera »

Unless someone has changed the normal wiring, interior lights run from the starter battery, not leisure. Has that been charged ?

Can you put van details in your signature, it helps others to help you. I've guessed it's an early van with cartridge / bullet fuses
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

bkandj

Post by bkandj »

Thanks so much for you reply.

Im pretty sure the interior lights in the converted part of the van come off the leisure battery, along with the fridge, water pump and plug socket. There's a separate fuse board. The fuses are the ceramic ones.

Our van is a 1985 1.9 petrol watercooled Autosleeper.

Thanks,

Sarah
Attachments
IMG_3046.JPG
IMG_3046.JPG (31.95 KiB) Viewed 4049 times

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Ah, right that changes things a bit, I thought you were referring to the interior lights when you open the doors. The fact you mention you have an AutoSleeper also helps a bit.

If you don't have the manual then wiring diagrams are available from https://vwt25.blog/2016/05/13/zig-mc-2000-wiring/

and then an explanation of how to modify the wiring to run the radio, courtesy lights from the leisure battery rather than the starter battery.

Now all the above is useful but not for you as your van is an early van the fusebox and wiring is different. Have you seen this site ? http://www.autosleeper.vwt25camper.info ... _down.html

There's a user manual download there for 1984 models which have the 4 fusebox approach and on page 5 it says the interior "caravan" lights are powered through fuse 1.

From looking at your picture I can work out that fuse number 1 is on the left, as fuse number 4 for the fridge is the bigger 25A blue one.

For the lights to work you need 3 things:
Power
good fuse
good bulb / tube.

You can start out by simply changing the fuse. A blown fuse can be spotted because the metal strip is in two pieces. From your picture it looks fine, but it's an easy check. In the process of swapping the fuse make sure that the contacts on the fusebox are clean and not corroded. Simply twisting the fuse around can sometimes be enough to clean the corrosion, otherwise a small screwdriver or file can be carefully used. You will need a white 8 amp fuse

What type of light fittings do you have and do you have know how to use / have access to a multimeter ?

Are other things eg the fridge working ?

A bigger picture might help too

bkandj

Post by bkandj »

Thanks! I'm sure all of that will be helpful, although I'm not very technical!

I tried several other 8 amp fuses last night and none seem damaged from what you say. The plug socket is definitely working and it's the only readily testable one because we never use the water tank and the fridge takes a while to get cool.

I'll see if I can post some more photos. There are 4 lights that I think run off this fuse and all are down so I'm hoping it's the fuse.

I think Halfords will be my first port of call this morning for some more fuses - if they even sell them?! Then off to Wales in the rain with head torches for back up!

Thanks again,

Sarah

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

If you've already swapped that fuse with good ones then I would say that rules the fuse out.

That leaves power to the fuse or the bulbs. I doubt that all 4 bulbs will have failed at the same time so I would be checking that there is 12v to fuse number 1. That's where a meter would be really useful.

When you say socket working do you mean mains socket or some type of car charger socket in the living area

One final daft question. On my autosleeper there is a 12v on / off switch. Are you sure you don't have one and it's been put into the off position by accident ?

bkandj

Post by bkandj »

Hi,

The switches are all on.

The plug is a regular looking 3 pin plug - 12v I think..? We only use it to charge phones, laptop etc...
If the lights are all working ok from the van battery then does that mean the fuse in the 4 fuse board are ok?

Can't be sure the fuses I've swapped in are good ones, but they don't look damaged.

bkandj

Post by bkandj »

And here's a photo showing the fuse board, socket and two of the lights.

Still a bit confused - if they're working off the van battery then surely the fuses are ok? Leisure battery the problem?

Sarah
Attachments
IMG_3047.JPG
IMG_3047.JPG (37.21 KiB) Viewed 4032 times

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

The white 3 pin socket is mains 240v, nothing to do with the van electrics

Can you post a bigger picture

Is there a switch which says Car / Van ?

bkandj

Post by bkandj »

The picture size is really limited for the forum.

There isnt a car/van switch. There's a rocker switch with 3 positions van battery/off/leisure battery. When it is set to van battery the lights work. So I'm thinking maybe the leisure battery isn't charged enough? Presumably the lights always work through the same 4 x fuse board? The 'main switch' which has a trip on it is on.

:ok

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

On the pictures the forum will take bigger pictures through Tapatalk, or you need to upload the pictures somewhere else (eg flickr) and link to them using the img tags. I didn't realise how you were doing them.

That switch selects the source, so it seems that the connection to the leisure battery has failed. There could be an inline fuse on the +ve side of the leisure battery, if that has failed it will appear as if there is no leisure battery there. See if you can find the inline fuse it'll be under the passenger seat. Not all Autosleepers have leisure battery chargers (mine didn't until I fitted one) so your leisure battery will not be charging when on hookup, only when the engine is running.

Maybe start the van and try flicking the car / van switch to van again. Be warned, if the battery has gone really flat it might never recover properly, lead acid batteries do not like being fully discharged.

If you had a meter you could easily test your batteries charge state :wink:

At least you know that the lights are working now, no need for head torches. Don't flatten the starter battery though

bkandj

Post by bkandj »

Hi,

Thanks for all your help & advice. The battery has a case it sits in with lights showing the charging status and it definitely charges from the hookup. Hopefully with the journey to Wales and some time on the hookup when we get there it’ll be ok.

Thanks again.

Sarah

:D

bkandj

Post by bkandj »

Update:

All working fine after the journey down and some time on the hookup, so the leisurebattery must’ve just been very low.

Thanks again for your help and useful info.

Sarah