Dashboard binnacle repairs

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Re: Dashboard binnacle repairs

Post by CJH »

CJH wrote: How about I finish off the parts for the last corner, then do a post showing all the different parts, and I'll try to give them sensible names so that you can specify exactly which piece(s) you need.

This might take a little longer than I thought, because a couple of the corners are a few degrees off a right-angle. I'll make versions for those corners, but I need to get my naming convention right or it'll all get too confusing.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

CJH

Post by CJH »

My longer self-tappers arrived yesterday, so I was able to fit the binnacle clamps. The curved profile of the original binnacle mounts means that the clamps have to bend slightly when the screws are done up. This means that they apply pressure along the whole length of the binnacle mount, so they make good use of the unbroken bits of the mount.

I'm nearly organised with all the other bits - just need to make up some diagrams now.

Smcknighty
80-90 Mem No: 14436

Post by Smcknighty »

Got my side bits, fit looks good, thanks for doing those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Long term the answer would be a brand new reproduction of the entire dash pod but the perspex screens would make this incredibly difficult to do. The biggest cause of failure of the plastic is the heat it gets exposed to over the years, plus freezing temperatures. I'd still like to have a go at making a pod from sheet ally but needs a CNC guy to make a neat job of it.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

CJH

Post by CJH »

CovKid wrote:Long term the answer would be a brand new reproduction of the entire dash pod but the perspex screens would make this incredibly difficult to do.

Thankfully my printer isn't big enough to print an entire binnacle, otherwise I just know I'd be tempted to start modelling one. That could be a very time-consuming process.

I realised that my binnacle clamps weren't a perfect fit in the end near the rearmost screws. I modelled the piece to fit a mounting tab that didn't have a lip on the final segment, so the final finger distorts when fitted to one that does have that lip - mine included.

So I adjusted the model slightly so it fits nice and flat.

I also realised that the material I normally print with, PLA, isn't ideal for this sort of part, since it will get very hot under the dashboard cowling and PLA will distort. ABS is the better material, but it's very difficult to print successfully since it requires much higher temperatures for the nozzle and the build plate, and it's very difficult to get good build plate adhesion to avoid the printed part lifting and warping. In fact I've never managed to get a successful print of anything in ABS.

But I persevered yesterday and I think I've found the right settings to print successfully. I had to tweak the model some more to round off the corners of the fingers (it seems to help prevent lifting), but now I can print them quite reliably.

So if anyone wants these in future, I'll make them in ABS - purple only I'm afraid! (@Smcknighty - I'll send a replacement pair in ABS). The various other repair pieces will be fine in PLA.

CJH

Post by CJH »

For anyone who wants to print this themselves, I've uploaded the finished binnacle clamp model to Thingiverse.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

fantastic work :ok

jamesakers
80-90 Mem No: 14421

Post by jamesakers »

This is brilliant CJH! Thank you for taking the time to develop this. It's something we'll definitely all need one day.
Sir Adventure - 1991 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9DG Petrol
https://vwt25.blog/

Smcknighty
80-90 Mem No: 14436

Post by Smcknighty »

Brilliant work, thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk