Diesel vs Petrol

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

BobbysocksJNR
80-90 Mem No: 0

Diesel vs Petrol

Post by BobbysocksJNR »

Hi there,

I know this is probably one of those ‘marmite’ type questions , but I wondered whether anyone had any thoughts on this. I’ve owned a Devon Moonraker high-top 1989 2L Petrol van for 6 years , and it’s not given us many problems .
It’s only a 2-berth , and due to expanding family we are looking to get something similar with sleeping up top etc

We’ve seen a pretty cool WestCountry ‘Kestrel’ 1.5 Diesel Turbo. Less than 100,000 on clock. There are a couple of rust issues but I guess it’s 1988 n all, so expected. This would naturally feel a bit slower than mine (would it struggle uphills?) , but I could live with that. I guess I’m just not used to diesel and slightly concerned about future tax hikes and city banning etc in the future (although doubt we’d be doing much city travel). Wondered if diesels were generally becoming less desirable as a result of this and lose value ? Or am I worrying about nothing and should just potentially enjoy greater fuel economy?! (My petrol 2L is a bit of a guzzler) . Any thoughts appreciated .
I’m a bit of a Luddite when it comes to all things mechanical so go easy on me! :)

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Re: Diesel vs Petrol

Post by tforturton »

If it's standard, then it's probably a 1.6 turbo, rather than a 1.5.
Anyway, I'm no expert, but the way I see it is this -
Diesel - slow but steady, can be noisy, more economical, less to go wrong, maybe problems ahead with emissions.
Petrol - quicker, not so economical (you could fit lpg though), a bit more complicated to fix, okay re emissions (for now).

I note that most long distance travellers go for diesel, due to the reliability and economy.
I think I've seen a West County Kestrel up for sale for a while now, on a few sites. White with green stripe?
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

BobbysocksJNR

Post by BobbysocksJNR »

tforturton wrote:
I note that most long distance travellers go for diesel, due to the reliability and economy.
I think I've seen a West County Kestrel up for sale for a while now, on a few sites. White with green stripe?

That’s the one yes.
Had a test drive in it , didn’t seem too noisy. Didn’t
experience hills though. Thanks for your thoughts on it
B

LeeME3
80-90 Mem No: 11225

Post by LeeME3 »

Is convert your current van to LPG (thereby saving a fortune in running costs) and add extra accommodation to it not an option?

I started with a 1.9DG tintop and added a basic interior first, then LPG, then a pop top (with a double bed in it), all the while improving the interior and, after a few false economies, also finding a driveaway awning that works very well for me. The van is now very much how I like it and it sounds as if yours is very well suited to you aside from the lack of space. Effectively I've gone from 2 berth and inability to stand up to 4 berth with loads of headroom and an extra 2 in the awning if needed. I'd be wary of trading a known and trusted van for an unknown one. That said, there is a chance I may know someone looking to buy a van that yours may be suitable for!

I can't picture a Moonraker high top so it is possible it is one of the lower high tops (sorry for the oxymoron!) that you can't fit a bed in - but, of course with a high top you already have the hole cut in the roof so any number of pop tops could be fitted many of which have sleeping options.

Oh and if anyone tells you that you can only fit a Westy pop top to a factory Westy van, trust me, they're wrong! :roll: 8)
1986 1.9DG WBX LPG, 4 spd manual. Westy poptop. Renogy lithium leisure. 175W solar. CR50 fridge. Propex. RX8 seats.

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

LeeME3 wrote:
Oh and if anyone tells you that you can only fit a Westy pop top to a factory Westy van, trust me, they're wrong! :roll: 8)
My van was originally a Caravelle, and now has a Westy pop top fitted. And a Westy kitchen unit. There are a few of them about.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Post by captain Byrne »

You also might want to factor in the environmental consequences of using a dirty old diesel engine.
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

BobbysocksJNR

Post by BobbysocksJNR »

LeeME3 wrote:Is convert your current van to LPG (thereby saving a fortune in running costs) and add extra accommodation to it not an option :roll: 8)

Hi.
Thanks for that . I think we might have looked into converting a while back. It’s a low high top yes, so wouldn’t be room for a bed . I’m guessing a new roof and interior bed option etc would be a pretty hefty price , hence feeling like we should just swap like for like. But yes it’s not ideal as we do love our van! Everything we’ve seen so far just feels like we’re being unfaithful!
The LPG thing might be a future consideration .