Early 1.9DG - Starts, runs for a moment, dies.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nsjtaylor
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Early 1.9DG - Starts, runs for a moment, dies.

Post by nsjtaylor »

kevtherev wrote:There is also the idle speed fuel cut off.
Often called the anti dieseling valve.
If it's faulty it won't allow the engine to idle.
But it will rev happily.

I checked that one yesterday with a 9v battery, and that was happily opening and closing on contact. So, I don't think that had anything to do with the spluttering and dieing (engine wouldn't idle or rev happily, it was all over the place and required a lot of manual fettling of the accelerator to keep it alive on the driveway. Instant death under load).
"Bob" - 1984 Westfalia Joker High-Top, 1.9DG

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

OK that's a better description, for an engine to do that it has to be a weak mixture.
Either an air leak into the induction side, or poor mixture adjustment.
Or a blocked pilot jet
And even a poor fuel supply.

As you haven't mentioned a strong fuel smell I don't think it's over fueling
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

nsjtaylor

Post by nsjtaylor »

kev - no screws had been touched prior to this issue appearing (worked one week, had this issue the next). Ruled out fuel supply to the carb (filters changed and then fed the pump supply directly to a jar and cranked; plenty of fuel splitting out).

Spark plugs had been changed the week before, but the van had run fine for a day. Checked those and they all still looked clean. Also, zero issue starting; barely have to breath on my key and the engine starts these days (lots of effort on the "starting" front has led to excellent reliability there).

Engine doesn't sound like it's misfiring or out on timing (either would like result in a tougher crank/start-up...?)

With the fettling of the accelerator required to keep it alive once it's started, we figured a fuelling issue. Hence... Carb rebuild to start with.

Majorly mucky carb, but internals pretty clean. Brickwerks rebuild kit, replacing parts that make sense to, re-using those which are either tested good or look clean and should still perform.

If i still have the same issue after a clean and rebuild, at least I know the carb is good! Not messing with mixture screws, as I know they were spot on (had a year of great performance, so no reason currently to tweak it).

Cheers chap; any further info or ideas would be greatly appreciated! I'll report back when the carb is back in, on Tuesday.

Thanks all.

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

Post by T25Convert »

What's your brake servo hose like? They can split and give massive airleaks.
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle

nsjtaylor

Post by nsjtaylor »

T25Convert wrote:What's your brake servo hose like? They can split and give massive airleaks.

Apologies chap, but I'm clueless to what you've just referred to :( I'll do some reading...

Thanks for the pointer though; every little bit of knowledge/learning helps :ok

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Well.....strange that this subject has come up. I had exactly this issue recently,

Mine would run if you splashed some fuel down carb throat (briefly) but not by any other means and pump was fine. Turned out that float needle was sticking (wedged in fact) and therefore float chamber couldn't fill. You'll need to unscrew top of carb to check but the needle valve is lubricated by the fuel itself. In very hot weather it can dry out and you only need a bit of muck or corrosion between ally body of needle and the brass bore and it can wedge in there - tight.

With carb top off, make sure that as float is lifted up and down, needle valve moves with it ;) Its possible (with very very fine wet n dry paper), to clean the four flat edges of the needle valve so its smooth once more. New needle valves tend to be better and they come in a carb kit ofcourse.

If you've replaced/overhauled needle valve anyway, then ignore the above but it may save others from similar frustration.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

nsjtaylor

Post by nsjtaylor »

Thanks CovKid - is it bad if I say "I'm glad it's not just me"? :run

I've had my carb in bits since last week and am waiting for another part to arrive (choke pull-down doing nothing) before completing and putting the carb back on. Don't recall the float needle being tricky to remove or otherwise stuck/tight, but then I'm not sure I'd have noticed if it was "a little bit stuck" once I removed the float and tugged on it.

I've since refitted the float and float-needle, and I ended up re-using my existing needle. I found the one in the Brickwerks kit fit just fine, but it wasn't holding the float high enough to pass the 26.5mm-28.5mm @ 30degree height test. I then gave the brickwerks needle a prod and the spring was pretty loosey-goosey. My original was in good condition on the sealing end, and held the float at the right height/tension.

I'm hoping I don't end up buried in alternator and timing land, as I'm saturated with 1.9DG learning at the moment, and need the van to be running in two weeks for a trip! (though I will check the alternator vacuum unit to see that that's doing its job). I'll also be replacing all vac hoses with new, as mine all look somewhat kinked and tired where they join the the various vacuum posts; so about time they had a freshen up anyway.

Either way, it'd be a swell day in Me-Land if everything magically works when I bolt it back on!

Thanks for the pointer chap.

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

Post by T25Convert »

nsjtaylor wrote:
T25Convert wrote:What's your brake servo hose like? They can split and give massive airleaks.

Apologies chap, but I'm clueless to what you've just referred to :( I'll do some reading...

Thanks for the pointer though; every little bit of knowledge/learning helps :ok

Right, to the left of your carburettor you'll see it's bolted to a big silver bit that head off towards the area of the spark plugs. To this big silver bit there will be a big hose, about thumb diameter.

This hose creates suck that powers you servo assistance for your brakes.

However, it can leak, especially if you have the fabric braided type.

Easiest test is to either wrap it in something, or pop it off and block the hole in the manifold, but if you do it this way be careful your brakes won't be great. Or you could pop the hose off and have a visual inspection.
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle

nsjtaylor

Post by nsjtaylor »

Thanks for giving me that in dumbed-down speak; just what the doctor ordered at the moment! I've probably seen it a hundred times and associated "fat pipe not connected to airbox = coolant pipe", so assumed it to be part of the cooling system.

I shall add it to the list of things to take a look at once I've got the carb back on. Thanks chap.

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

My brake servo hose leaked like a syphalitic penis.
It caused an even weaker mixture in cylinders 3&4
Added that to the leaking pull down it must have been impossible to run, so some PO clown wound the mixture right in to richen it.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Clown is right. Not untypical though.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

nsjtaylor

Post by nsjtaylor »

Brake Servo Vac hose seems to be in good shape. I haven't pulled it off and performed extensive investigation/testing, on visual inspection and some prodding/poking, it doesn't look particularly gnarly.

Still awaiting arrival of the replacement choke pull-down unit. It's with Royalmail, so it ought to arrive today.

Last night I replaced all of the small vac pipes as they were looking pretty tired anyway. Had a quick suck on the vac advance pipe connected to the distributor (seeing as it was a nice clean pipe!); couldn't achieve a positive vacuum/hold, so I've gone ahead and ordered a replacement vac advance unit anyway (and watched videos, and done reading, so I don't mess anything up whilst replacing it, if I need to!). Must be noted; even with a fresh, clean pipe, you still get some interesting flavours out of of the vac advance/distributor!

My question is; could a toasted vac advance unit cause the symptoms I've been seeing (tough to get it to idle, following by blowing itself out and stalling).

Assuming choke pull-down arrival, I ought to be able to get the carb back in tonight and see where I'm at... I'm just trying to think ahead of what to check next, if it's not a carb issue (1.5 weeks until camping, and I don't want to do it in a tent!)

As always, thanks in advance.

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

Any air leak, however small, will have an effect on the mixture.
Which then affects running

nsjtaylor

Post by nsjtaylor »

kevtherev wrote:Any air leak, however small, will have an effect on the mixture.
Which then affects running

Thanks Kev. I'll get on and straighten them all out.

nsjtaylor

Post by nsjtaylor »

All sorted. Van now runs fine.

Choke pull-down arrived, so I fitted that to the rebuilt carb and installed. All vac pipes replaced. Bus runs like a champ once more.

I'll still investigate the diz vac advance and make sure it's 100%.

Thanks for your help and suggestions/advice, folk.