Key comes out of ignition in on position

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Key comes out of ignition in on position

Post by Sir Brixalot »

In a rush today and took key out quickly. It came out of the ignition with the key in the on position and van continued running.Is this a mechanical fault and do I need to buy a new barrel or just forget about it? I've been going through ignition switches fairly regularly and been trying to take electrical load off it but this gets me thinking that it may have been a mechanical problem with the switch the whole time.
Honorary "Dave" 

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: Key comes out of ignition in on position

Post by bigherb »

Usually means the Barrel is worn. Wouldn't affect the ignition switch.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Thanks for that. One of the pins on the switch had twisted so I wondered if a worn barrel would have done it
Honorary "Dave" 

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

me I'd replace it as I would be worried about the steering lock in case someone has tried to nick the van with a screwdriver in the past and not succeeded but done damage, you should not be getting through ignition switches they last 20 plus years even the ones they sell today are good for 10000s of operations

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Elite VW lost the keys when they had my van. I can see that doors can have barrels built to fix existing key does anyone know if I can have an ignition barrel made for my existing key
Last edited by Sir Brixalot on 25 Jun 2018, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
Honorary "Dave" 

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

it is possible but not really doable as there's a pin inside the casting that has to be accurately drilled out to enable the pin to be removed to remove the barrel (Bentley 94.4 fig 7), normally you get a good used or if still available a new ignition lock and then tumble the door locks to suit or buy a complete set that already match

chris7ian
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by chris7ian »

I'd suggest replacing the barrel to avoid future mishaps. My old Bay had a similar quirk in that the key could be removed leaving the engine running, which was useful in some circumstances. However, the deciding factor to renew it came after I watched helplessly whilst following my bus being driven by a friend, and on the first slight bend in the road after a stop the steering lock engaged causing a loss of control. The bus mounted the kerb and only narrowly avoided a bus stop (ironcally) before coming to a halt. Fortunately there were no injuries other than a FUBAR'd 17" tyre
1989 2.1 MV Auto

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

I know what you mean about it being handy. Can lift engine lid without turning off engine. That's a scary story. I'' get it sorted PDQ
Honorary "Dave" 

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Tried to swap ignition barrel over. I couldn't work out how to remove the old one (which had two small holes) from the housing , I don't know if holes are original or done by the garage when they lost my keys. Can anyone let me know how to remove old barrel? Thanks
Honorary "Dave" 

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

if the 3mm hole has been drilled in the correct place then you need a small punch to push out the pin that is in there then the lock cylinder will pull out, probably with a key in it to give you something to pull on, Bentley just says pull out lock cylinder once pin is removed - the pin is probably fitted from the bottom side originally so the new hole is drilled in the top side close to the VW logo to enable the pin to be pushed out

I have never done this job, very few people will have, back in the day 9 times out of 10 you'd just buy a new steering lock housing complete with cylinder or buy a used one complete with ignition key

interesting that your garage lost the keys and 'fixed' the issue - I wonder how exactly they did that - a bodge probably that resulted in poor interlocking with the electrical switch causing repeated failures, maybe ask them What the blithering heck they actually did

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Yes, use any pointed object (small screw driver?) And push through the hole. There is a spring plate that will be depressed by the screw driver, then pull the key, with it inserted and turned. I don't *remember having to 'punch' any pin out or use any particular force, other than deprresiing the spring plate and pulling..
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Aidan wrote:if the 3mm hole has been drilled in the correct place then you need a small punch to push out the pin that is in there then the lock cylinder will pull out, probably with a key in it to give you something to pull on, Bentley just says pull out lock cylinder once pin is removed - the pin is probably fitted from the bottom side originally so the new hole is drilled in the top side close to the VW logo to enable the pin to be pushed out

I have never done this job, very few people will have, back in the day 9 times out of 10 you'd just buy a new steering lock housing complete with cylinder or buy a used one complete with ignition key

interesting that your garage lost the keys and 'fixed' the issue - I wonder how exactly they did that - a bodge probably that resulted in poor interlocking with the electrical switch causing repeated failures, maybe ask them What the blithering heck they actually did

It was one of the mess ups at Elite several years ago now. You're right - I'm just going to buy another housing.
Honorary "Dave"