Insert witty title here

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Walrus
80-90 Mem No: 5972

Re: Insert witty title here

Post by Walrus »

Progress today - unpicked all the left side, the front over the windscreen and unzipped the right side ready for unpicking:

After I've bent the retaining strip back it seems that the roof is ready to move - it seems there was/is not much else holding it down. Which brings me onto a question: the back appears to have 2 'seams' - see the picture below.

When I started I thought the roof seam followed the yellow line, but it appears to follow the red line, which means the bolts for the tailgate and the wiper wiring go through the GRP roof panel. Before I start poking at it, does anyone know if this is normal? Any tips for easy removal if it's the latter?
1991 2.1 LPG Syncro (aka Beaker) ...and... 1998 1.9TD T4 (aka Daisy)

sweetaswesty
80-90 Mem No: 12543

Post by sweetaswesty »

If it's a factory roof, then it's constructed like a Westfalia, which means that the metal panel at the back is part of the hightop construction and not actually part of the vehicle roof even though it looks like it. It's attached by rivets to the vehicle along the edge above the tailgate but from below. The edge you've marked red is the side of the panel and where it needs to separate. If you remove the tailgate seal you'll get a better idea of how the panel is attached.
Where you've marked a yellow edge this metal panel is bonded to the fibreglass roof on the inside. So you drill out the rivets and the panel comes away with the fibreglass roof. As well as the rivets it's also held in place with some kind of sealant so you'll need to get a thin flexible blade in to prise it apart at the sides and also where it is attached above the tailgate.
Oh and you have to take the tailgate off because the tailgate bolts also go through this panel.
If there's an easy way I didn't find it and the tailgate wiring was also a pain. I couldn't find a way of disconnecting the heated rear window element without using more violence than I wanted and so I ended up fishing the wiring through.
If you discover it just unclips off I'd like to know how!
1991 Westfalia California Hightop1.9tdi

sweetaswesty
80-90 Mem No: 12543

Post by sweetaswesty »

You were wondering about the metal strips which hold the roof in place along the side?
I'm going to reinstate them but my roof was not so bad as yours so I could see that the original top coat of paint was on top of the strips and underneath them was just primer and easily the worst and most damaging rust was between the bottom of the strips and the top surface of the gutters. I think the spot welding of those strips into place is the worst part of the roof's construction.
I think the strips function (a) to hold the roof in place but also (b) to allow the roof to be removed without damaging the fibreglass edge.
So I'm going to replace the strips but I'm thinking that instead of spotwelding them maybe I'm going to glue them in place with a two pack panel adhesive?
Also the hightop was glued into the strips with what looked like epoxy as well as being crimped into them. So I'll do that as well.
1991 Westfalia California Hightop1.9tdi

Walrus

Post by Walrus »

It's been a while since I posted... progress has been slow due to domestic issues, the weather, holidays and laziness. But I have progress! The roof is now completely unpicked; I lifted it tonight and took a sneak peak at the horrors below - and on the whole it's not as bad as some I've seen.

Behind the gutter rust it's mostly quite solid:

Front right corner:

Rear left corner looks ok-ish...

...until I poked it with a screwdriver; holes as expected, but not terrible:

But by far the worst bit is the front left corner over the windscreen:

So the windscreen has to come out. Luckily the right side is ok, so I've got a pattern to mirror it against.

Now, my next thought is... what to replace it with? Do I put the old roof back or... I'm sorely tempted to fit a metal roof instead. Anyone got a roof cut for sale - must include 3" down the windscreen!

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

Wow, there’s some serious rust there mate - found this on eBay with a best offer:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2883272992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck with the project :ok
'86 DG, Weber Carb

Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Thanks for that - I've sent the seller a list of questions!

Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Deed done - I'm off to Rotherham weekend after next to collect the roof.

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

Nice one! Must’ve meant to be as you don’t see too many roof’s up for sale.
'86 DG, Weber Carb

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Post by mshaw1980 »

Wow! High tops look really useful but after looking at this I am glad I don't have one as they are too good at concealing horrors until it's too late :(
Glad you got a roof. Should be so much easier than fixing that lot. :ok
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Windscreen out today - not as hard as I thought it would be. The corners where it seals don't look too bad, mostly surface rust, so be good to sort them now, while the rest is in pieces.
Top right, by the worst roof corner

Top left:

Bottom left:

...and bottom right:
There is also a funny 'cut' in the edge - is this where it's been repaired previously?

Also took the opportunity to strip the rest of the cables out the roof space, removed the baked-bean shelf and had a general tidy up, ready for lifting the roof off - date TBA.

Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Went and fetched the new roof today!

On holiday next week but will be starting the next phase soon - deciding which bits to keep off the old roof and working out how to to fit the new one!

Walrus

Post by Walrus »

After a lot of faffing and getting let down with assistance, the roof is finally off!

and a picture of the worst of the damage...

Now I can go up evenings and start work on drilling out the spot welds from the old and new roofs...!