Hightop Awning

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

randamonia
80-90 Mem No: 14035

Hightop Awning

Post by randamonia »

Hi
Sorry for any repeats but can’t seem to find the spoon fed answer I need.
I have a Komet high top and am looking to fit a canopy awning that I can also use to link up to my Driveaway when I use that. The issue is the gutters are shallow due to the high top fixing so not sure how effective the Fiamma style brackets would be. What are my options? Pics would be great please?
Thanks a lot
1987 Autohomes Komet 1.9 DG

pondering
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Hightop Awning

Post by pondering »

I also have a high top (Autohomes Kameo) and I don't have an awning yet but I've been looking at them recently and came across this:
Image It's an ARB awning from Campervan Culture with their bespoke CVC fitting. There's lots more pics of it in situ on vans with the product description here: https://campervanculture.com/shop/arb-2 ... it/awnings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'm pondering it; possibly expensive, but if it fits and works...
1987 Autohomes Kameo RHD

izzybarnard

Post by izzybarnard »

Hi
I've fitted a Fiamma f45 to our Hightop with the specific T25 brackets and it works really well for us.
No regrets at all, really easy to use and provides great cover.
The f45 also has an awning channel so you can attatch a driveaway awning to it aswell unlike an f35. This is exactly what we do.
Cheers
IzzyImage

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
1987 Hightop with Subaru EJ25 Conversion

pondering

Post by pondering »

izzybarnard wrote:Hi
I've fitted a Fiamma f45 to our Hightop with the specific T25 brackets and it works really well for us. ...

Are the brackets from Fiamma or somewhere else please ?
1987 Autohomes Kameo RHD

izzybarnard

Post by izzybarnard »

Evening.
The brackets I used we're the Fiamma brackets which fit pretty well and lift the awning a few inches above the rainwater gutter.
Have a good google to find a good price I'd suggest.
I'm 6'1" and its fine for me, no walking into it or constant ducking.
Cheers
IzzyImage

izzybarnard

Post by izzybarnard »

The only other thing to watch is if you plan on fitting a drive away awning to the awning channel on the f45 ! The f45 awning channel is only 6mm and most awning beads are 8mm, you just need to buy the channel adaptor for about 8 quid. We ran foul of this on our 1st outing when we wanted to put on our drive away awning.
Cheers
Izzy

pondering

Post by pondering »

Thanks Izzy. A lot of my rain gutter is full of the roof lip; is yours and you still got a tight/secure fit ?

I don't think I need a drive away awning, so is it just an f35 awning for the f35 brackets (£52 from everything fiamma) ? What width and depth do you have ?
1987 Autohomes Kameo RHD

izzybarnard

Post by izzybarnard »

Hi
On mine the bracket fitted the gutter ok but I decided to cut down the inner clamp bar and I used a 1" spacer to clamp against the two bracket plates instead. It made it easier to fit and removed the perfect gutter dependency I found.
With the fiamma bracket and the height of the awning on the van side when pulled out I reckon ours is ~6'2" so no need to limbo.

Cheers

izzybarnard

Post by izzybarnard »

Sorry, forgot to add the size, ours is a fiamma f45s 260 so 2.6m in length.

Cheers
Izzy

pondering

Post by pondering »

Thanks Izzy for your reply; although I'm not very clear on the mods you made. Can you please provide a close up photo or two ?
1987 Autohomes Kameo RHD

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

Hi,
I used to have an Omnistor awning which had similar gutter brackets. Where the brackets needed to fit in the gutter channel I dug out the filler and a piece of high top lip, fitted the brackets and replaced filler ie Tiger Seal. Never had any problems.
Have now replaced Omnistor with Fiamma Caravanstor. Does the same job and easier/lighter to take off when neccesary.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

pondering

Post by pondering »

kentishvanman wrote: ...Where the brackets needed to fit in the gutter channel I dug out the filler and a piece of high top lip, fitted the brackets and replaced filler ie Tiger Seal. Never had any problems.

mmm I did wonder about doing that, but felt quite apprehensive about trying to cut 30+ year old fibreglass ! Visions of fractures that ‘run’; potentially another small job that turns into a nightmare :( It’s good to know that it worked for you. How did you cut into it/get the width/depth you needed ?
1987 Autohomes Kameo RHD

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

Hi,

mmm I did wonder about doing that, but felt quite apprehensive about trying to cut 30+ year old fibreglass ! Visions of fractures that ‘run’; potentially another small job that turns into a nightmare :( It’s good to know that it worked for you. How did you cut into it/get the width/depth you needed ?[/quote]

Long time ago so cannot really remember. Just had a quick think and if I was going out this morning to do it I would probably drill small holes along the line I wanted to remove and then score/cut/chisel between holes.
Although I had no problems with the Omnistor I find the Caravanstor does exactly the same job ie gives me a canopy, so I am not sure why I ever got the Omnistor in the first place. One of those 'good idea at the time' moments.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

phinw
80-90 Mem No: 16041

Post by phinw »

I've done exactly the same as kentishvanman. I cut the high top using a small blade in an oscillating multi-tool - no chance of damaging or cracking with one of these.

These things: https://www.bosch-do-it.com/za/en/diy/t ... 199915.jsp
1988 1.9 DG

Daisy
80-90 Mem No: 4298

Post by Daisy »

phinw wrote:I've done exactly the same as kentishvanman. I cut the high top using a small blade in an oscillating multi-tool - no chance of damaging or cracking with one of these.

These things: https://www.bosch-do-it.com/za/en/diy/t ... 199915.jsp

Yep I did the same as kentishvanman and also used a multi tool, when I fitted my F45s, plus I used security shear nuts to lock the brackets and clamps in place as I know there have been cases of awnings being unbolted and stolen.

These are the shear nuts I usedhttps://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-a2-s ... /6624t#_=p

enjoy your awning :ok
You`re only meant to blow the bloody doors

T25- you were only supposed to weld the bloody sills