Recommendations for battery powered rattle gun please

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

chewbacca
80-90 Mem No: 16186

Recommendations for battery powered rattle gun please

Post by chewbacca »

I'm thinking about splashing out on a rattle gun. (Impact driver). It'll be for basic home garage use, including working on the t25.
Only thing, I'm not sure which to buy. A Makita that works with my current 18v batteries is only about 150 quid, but in not sure it'll have enough power.
Anyone got experience of these things?

Cheers guys.
B plate 1.9 petrol bus

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Re: Recommendations for battery powered rattle gun please

Post by Jeff J »

My nephew, a professional mechanic, loaned me a right angle drive one to remove some stuck bolts I could not get to. If I was to buy one that is definitely what I would go for. Expensive, but I would have thought worth it if you use that type of thing a lot.

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Post by matt brighton »

Hi

Not an answer to your question but food for thought...

If you don't mind the "inconvenience" of a mains one rather than battery, even the cheap Clarke one from machine mart has the same or more kick in NMs or whatever they are as an expensive battery one - I have one of the clarke corded which I got on the machine mart vat free day they promote occasionally its undone everything I have used it on and TBH its never bothered me that much to justify the additional cost for a battery tool that hasn't nearly as much grunt -- which is really why we buy impact drivers.

Matika cordless ... 440nm = £484 - machine mart

Clarke corded ... 450nm - £71 - machine mart :ok

Admittedly .....I can't play I work in quick fit with a corded but its worked for me... :ok

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

i have a `Ryobi 18v +one, and its definitely more powerful that a good friends makita one .
its a few years old now and gets used a lot, too handy not to have , and so easy not having to trail wires or pipes about.
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Depends what you want it for, I have the clarke mains one and it's a beast but if you want to be able to remove smaller nuts bolts and studs it will break them becuse it has no torque adjustment.
I'm not sure how many of the battery ones come with torque control but you probably don't need it unless the torque is high and most of the lower cost battery ones don't have any thinkg like the torque of the mains ones.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Impact driver and impact wrench are very different things though. A driver is for driving in big screws into wood etc, but a wrench is for undoing bolts and bigger things. I've got DeWalt tools so I'm in that camp due to the battery 'lock in' trend :-\ but, they're great. I have a cordless impact wrench with a quoted 900nm of torque which is awesome ;-) Access can be tricky or impossible on some bolts, but it's never not got one off yet, incl all suspension and radius rod bolts. Maybe a right angle adapter is available, but that would reduce its shock power I'd imagine.

Photo now added, similar to Carrera's one below.

I do love impact tools :-):-):-)
Last edited by slowcoach on 23 May 2018, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

It does depend what you want it for. If it's just for wheelbolts, then many will do, provided they are not overtight.

I waited years before buying one, read lots of reviews which seemed to imply that most guns did not perform as well as expected & went for Milwaukee M18 HIWF.

It's been a champ. Has undone rear hub nuts on a T25. They're not cheap being proper professional grade, (spec says 610nm) but if you will get the use out of it, well worth it. I got a deal with case & 2 batteries for about £260
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

We use one of these at work for undoing nut/bolts that have been in situ for 20yrs plus, sometimes covered in paint and rusty as hell.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chicago-Pneu ... rmvSB=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Shepster that looks like a whopper.

Worth noting that impact sockets (usually coloured black for a visual cue) are recommended, since they have more give/flex in them, than a hardened socket, and designed not to shatter when hammered. I've not seen one shatter, but that's the idea
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Yeah.

I had been using a Silverline 19mm long reach socket for general wheelnut removal (the 19mm impact socket being on my windy gun). Went to undo the wheelnuts on my T25, which were correctly torqued up. The T25 studs as you know are tightened more than a typical car. I didn't seem to be making a great deal of progress, then I noticed the cracks down the socket. :roll:

Quick change to the impact socket and out they came.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine