All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Re: Oversize tyres on standard rims

Post by matt brighton »

Hi

I run 215/80/14's on my van - Its got a 1.9 skoda aef engine NA - not turbo

based on the sat nav readings before/after fitting my bigger tyres….. the speedo over read by 10% with standard 185's before fitting …..so now with the bigger tyres (215/80/14's) its now accurate…

It is soo much better on motorways and I like the beefy look of the tyres - I fitted e bay plastic chrome beauty rings, the summer chrome moons and painted the steel body colour and happy with that set up

:ok

Matt - brighton

Porkscratching
80-90 Mem No: 17422

Post by Porkscratching »

Hi Waltaud and Matt, I have a spare set of wheels so I may consider rebooting them. Anecdotally I've heard VW made our vans with standard tyres run 10% faster on the speedometer but run accurate on the odometer. If this is the case you should get the benefit of lower recorded mileage.

Matt, I have some unfinished business down your way so maybe if I'm in your area I'll hook up and take a peak at your setup.

Regards, Max.
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX
Time is precious, waste it wisely folks.

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Porkscratching wrote:Hi Waltaud and Matt, I have a spare set of wheels so I may consider rebooting them. Anecdotally I've heard VW made our vans with standard tyres run 10% faster on the speedometer but run accurate on the odometer. If this is the case you should get the benefit of lower recorded mileage.

Matt, I have some unfinished business down your way so maybe if I'm in your area I'll hook up and take a peak at your setup.

Regards, Max.

"unfinished business "
Sounds sinister :shock: but you'd be very welcome - pm me in advance so I can arrange

Matt

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

itchyfeet wrote:Probably invalidate your insurance.

Theres a bit of an urban myth about generally "invalidating" insurance on a lot of car/motorbike forums... no tax = no insurance for example is the most common one I know of.

Understandably - and arguably quite rightly - the insurance industry won't mind people being scared into declaring all and everything pertaining to them and the car they are asking to be insured. No tax will not make a vehicle uninsured or unroadworthy. The reg keeper will be committing an offence but not be driving an uninsured vehicle.

The fact is an innocent 3rd party would be compensated if they made a claim to your insurance company...... and should an undeclared matter such as motoring conviction or modification be relevant and contributory to the incident then the insurance co would be within their rights to recover from you the cost of recompense to an injured 3rd party on a fault claim.

Silly example to illustrate - if you seriously injured a driver of another car by driving into him - you have insurance but you removed the 1.6CS and installed a V8 chevy small block and didn't inform your broker - Then,,,,, the insurance co would compensate the innocent but then recover from you, the cost by ultimately taking you to court and would prove that the modification was a contributory factor and/or would have increased your risk and premium if indeed they would have accepted you as a risk.

. The financial ombudsman have produced a paper that explains if the undeclared fact in response to a clear understandable question when taking out a policy (most often who is the main driver ? in cases where parent insures car as policyholder and son is "named driver") would have increased the premium then a percentage of the payout or 100% can reasonably be recovered from you.... fault party in a claim.

Disputes that cannot be resolved on liability would be decided ultimately..... in a court of law

If you turn out to be a homeless bankrupt without a p 2 p in; then you would face court too but the unfortunate would have had their compensation and we all pay for others dishonesty via the premiums charged.

I have both caused and been the victim of incidents - fortunately all minor - and although we all moan about how much it costs us - just imagine what you would be willing to pay and the value of insurance... in the event you were either at fault or the victim of a serious incident..

Best

Matt

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Yup. I bring this up a fair bit - much to the annoyance of some. However, a case in point was when I was with CIS. I declare ALL changes to be on the safe side, but with CIS, merely removing the middle seats in my Caravelle caused them to cancel my insurance forthwith. Mods include removals as well as additions. If its not as it left the factory, you must always let them know lest you end up being sued after you discover your insurance is invalid. Important point, particularly if you carry children.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

Just wondering is there a better selection of tyres available for 15s or 16s and which rim size should I go for?
I'm looking at either 195 75 r16 or 195 80 r15 to give a 10% increase in gearing for my 1.9d. Pretty sure I can find toliman alloys in 15s or 16s.
Would probably just go for winter tyres all year round as lets face it, it rains almost every day all year!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

I think there's a huge selection in both sizes so wouldn't worry about that . Maybe just get what you can find. Or if you want more rubber, get the 15s with bigger sidewalls. Or choose 16s if you just like them :-)

I have 215/65/16 and like that setup. Though I'll Probably get 205 width next time so a bit narrower
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

slowcoach wrote:I think there's a huge selection in both sizes so wouldn't worry about that . Maybe just get what you can find. Or if you want more rubber, get the 15s with bigger sidewalls. Or choose 16s if you just like them :-)

I have 215/65/16 and like that setup. Though I'll Probably get 205 width next time so a bit narrower

I opted for 15" steels simply because I had the chance of a set of almost new 205/70/15 for peanuts
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

I've gone for 16 inch ET33 merc alloys.
205/70 r16 tyres - 27.3 inch diameter.
No spacers, just longer studs on the rear and conversion studs on the front.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop