1.9 DG engine camshaft

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

philmcC
80-90 Mem No: 13636

1.9 DG engine camshaft

Post by philmcC »

Assembling parts for 1.9 DG engine rebuild into 2.1 MV. The 1.9 DG camshaft is in good condition. Is it completely unsuitable for the 2.1 MV engine and if I needed to change it could I get it read profiled at Newman's camshaft workshop?.philmcC

123-jn
80-90 Mem No: 12161

Re: 1.9 DG engine camshaft

Post by 123-jn »

I am no cam expert but I would be suprised if there was enough metal in the right places to reprofile a DG to an MV?
123-jn Autohomes Komet 2.1 DJ AUTO 1989 (closed loop LPG pierburg 2E3)
- Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: 1.9 DG engine camshaft

Post by itchyfeet »

I would go as far as to say it's not possible, the DG cam has far less lift so you would have to grind a DG to such a small diameter to get a DJ profile it would not be good for the cam or the lifters.

If it was viable people would already be doing it.

Newmans will cut you a DJ/MV onto an Aircooled blank , I paid about 90 quid but beware they seem to get the timing out, perhaps they can't cut the cam exact as the blank is limited, this means you ideally need an adjustable cam adapter for your WBX gear, the air cooled gear is not adjustable, you can only time it one tooth increments ( 14.4 crank degrees) and there are no different size Aircooled gears to cope with backlash, you just have to live with it.

Adjustable cam adapters afaik only come from Vanistan and there is a 3 off min order.

You could ask Newman about the timing to see if they can get it right, I did and sent a DJ cam but the cam was out by about 18 crank degrees, they did cut it just after xmas so they may have just forgotten.

If you are really bored it's all here....

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 0#p8206521" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks