Spur of the moment purchase

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

123-jn
80-90 Mem No: 12161

Spur of the moment purchase

Post by 123-jn »

I don't know why this happens but I saw a bottom end for a 2.1 MV on ebay and bought it!!! I am running a 2.1 DJ at present on gas and have a 1.9 all built up in the shed as a apare. It is a good spare as I rebuilt it and it only covered 20,000 miles before I swapped to the DJ. After that I stripped the 1.9 again to change the big end bolts (as I hadn't before) and to re position the oil pick up which was bent to one side. I then rebuilt it with new gaskets and Stainless nuts!!! Something nagging in my head said ' you don't want to go back to a 1.9!!!' so here we are. I have just stripped the new bottom end to find it running on standard bearings and big ends. None have worn through to the copper so I think the mileage wasn't too great. They are all original vw shells as well. Suprisingly the camshaft is ok which is a new one for me. They are usually shot!!! The crank also looks good although I have yet to measure up. The small ends are also perfect which again I have never found before. Head studs are all good. What a purchase. Just need a couple of heads!!!! I already have a set of MV pistons so soon if anyone wants a set I will have a spare. As for the 1.9 , once the MV is built that will be surplus as well just need to work out what it owes me!!!
123-jn Autohomes Komet 2.1 DJ AUTO 1989 (closed loop LPG pierburg 2E3)
- Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Spur of the moment purchase

Post by itchyfeet »

I'm always skeptical of part stripped engines these days as head bolts are usually shot, sounds like you got lucky.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

123-jn

Post by 123-jn »

You are very right. It is usually a bit of a risk. The only negative can find is that one barrel has a slight bit of surface rust on the bore but I think it will be fine with a hone. The barrels are more or less unworn also. Really happy :D

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Needs pictures :ok
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

I may be in the market for an engine or perhaps some parts , pm
Me when you decide how much you want

Cheers

123-jn

Post by 123-jn »

https://imgur.com/a/npJLA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the spare 1.9 I built. Think I may have to sell it to finance my spare MV build!!! The question is what is a spare engine worth? Before it did its 19,000 miles it had a new camshaft, Polished crank with new big ends and mains /thrusts, New rings, glaze busted bores, new oil pump, Heads were just cleaned and lapped. Then when I swapped to 2.1 I stripped the 1.9 again all the new parts were still lovely, still nice and clean inside. This time I replaced a head with an AMC one due to valve guide wear. The other head was treated to new valve guides and inlet valves. The crank was treated to new big end cap bolts (non stretch). Then rebuilt again with new gaskets. Also all case bolts have SS nuts now. If I was fitting it the heads would have SS studs and brass nuts fitted. It has not been run since the lastest rebuild?
What is it worth?