My T25 restoration

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Re: My T25 restoration

Post by mshaw1980 »

I wasn't happy with how the outer sill looked after doing all this work on this side of the van so I removed it along with the sliding door seal channel. The lip to which it welds to on the inner sill needed a bit of repair and a small hole underneath the inner seal needed sorting whilst I was in there but thankfully only surface rust on the rest of the inner sill...

ImageInner sill repair by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

ImageInner sill repair before fitting new outer sill by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

The butt welding clamps were very handy to do this job and it was also not too bad seam welding the repair section in as the steel here is thicker than on the bodywork. So grind the welds down, treat the inside of the inner sill to some rust prevention, spray zinc primer on the inner sill seam and then we are ready to weld on the new outer sill panel, £26 from schofields. Picture to follow. Starting to look good on this side of the van now. Just need to finish sanding, wash down the paintwork and then ready for some rollering :-)
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

mshaw1980 wrote:The butt clamps were very handy.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

bigbadbob76 wrote:
mshaw1980 wrote:The butt clamps were very handy.

Ha ha ha ha.

Good one :ok
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

So I have finally got to a position were I can at least start making one side of the van look nice before cutting all the panels out of the other side so here is a before and then after with the first rollered coat of rustoleum...

ImageSide centre panel removal by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

I need to do the first coat of off white around the windows but have been very pleased with how well the paint rollered on. Its gonna be an ace little van once I can actually use it with the family :D

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

So work has started on the other side of the van...
ImageInner sill removal. by Mark Shaw, on Flickr
ImageInner sill removal. by Mark Shaw, on FlickrImageInner sill removal. by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

Still got to cut the bottom of the B Pillar away and also have a new front arch to fit. Blimey this could easily get overwhelming looking at the state of the van at the moment. Need to just remember I renovated most of our 3 storey town house on my own which involved stripping rooms back to framework and starting again. Same principal here I suppose although I am still learning welding.

I hate rust :-(

adie89
80-90 Mem No: 11532

Post by adie89 »

Good effort mr Shaw. Thanks for sharing. I've not long finished the side opposite the door that you've just done, my sliding door side is next
Greta: 85’ LHD 2.5L Subaru 14in Syncro
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165773

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

adie89 wrote:Good effort mr Shaw. Thanks for sharing. I've not long finished the side opposite the door that you've just done, my sliding door side is next

Thanks adie. It's enjoyable seeing everyone's vans coming together. Such a shame we have such a disposable society where old vehicles like these are left to rot. I was born in 1980 so doing my best to see that this piece of 80's history lives a while longer. Old school is cool :ok

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

So jigged up the rear jack point. Looks untidy but jig is solid, screwed to the floor and I measured and measured before cutting...

ImageRear jack point jig by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

New inner sill fitted above rear jacking point...

ImageRear Jack point welded on and boxed in by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

My attempt at fabricating the rear stiffener above the jack point, tacked in...

Boxed in above the rear jacking point, tacked in place...

Followed by seam welding. Not gonna grind flat as will be covered by rear quarter panel and will be stronger...

Used the VW jack on the rear jacking point and it passed the test. No creaking, distortion etc so hopefully strong enough :-)

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

So now the rear jacking point has now been sorted, time to turn my attention to some nice cosmetic work, the rear quarter panel. So bit of rustiness to deal with...

You can see the new panel behind the rear light as that was very crusty. Cut the inner arch to remove the rust steel. Then made a repair piece, swaged the steel and spot welded it on. Unfortunately I got too eager and forgot to take an after picture of this. Sorry.

Also had to cut this section out as the seam had rusted outwards into the panel...

Yet more fabrication then with some offcuts of good steel from the van and my trusty vice and hammers :-)
Last edited by mshaw1980 on 24 Feb 2018, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

Centre window surround behind driver was knackered. Seams were very crusty all the way down the middle centre panel...
ImageGetting there...:-) by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

So out it comes ....
ImageCentre panel trial fitting by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

Front driver's wheel arch is not too healthy either
ImageMore resto photos by Mark Shaw, on Flickr
So out she comes
Seatbelt mount was also on its last legs
Rebuild of the front wheel arch begins. Old offcuts of metal come in very handy :-)
Fits well :-)

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

You'll note that just before my front driver side wheelarch replacement I had cut out the whole centre fridge panel behind the driver seat as the seams were very rusty so time to do some work on that. So here is a pic I found of the inner sill being fitted...
Trial fitted the new centre panel. Didn't take a picture of the outer sill on its own sorry, both panels from Schofields
ImageCentre panel trial fitting by Mark Shaw, on Flickr
Inside the van the floor joining to the outer sill and centre panel was completely shot so was nice to see it gone. Only problem now is I needed to make a new floor panel
New floor panel made and welded in. Just a tiny patch to make to the right behind the rear wheelarch framework then floor is solid :-)
My good lady wanted rid of the window behind the driver seat so we can do some sort of storage so had a panel made by a local metalwork company. They did a great job getting the top swage right. Was expensive though, £83 for 1.2mm zintec panel. Anyway, the centre panel is now welded in and here is the 'former' window panel fitted ready for a seam weld
ImageWindow delete panel clamped ready for welding. by Mark Shaw, on Flickr
Small repair to the rear window surround where there was a bit of rust
ImageRear window repair by Mark Shaw, on Flickr
Followed by a little filler and some sanding/primer...
ImageFinally passenger and driver side metalwork done! by Mark Shaw, on Flickr
Nice solid metal now on the driver's side. In comparison, the passenger side which I partly painted last year..
ImageFinally passenger and driver side metalwork done! by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

There is a bit of rust on the front above the bumper but will sort that next year. Had the van nearly three years and it has not been used yet so my good lady insisted I just tidy the front as all the main metalwork is now complete :-)
Looking forward to getting all the paint on it. Excited.

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Great so see it emerge into the light Mshaw. :ok
It's looking good and you know now there's nothing nasty lurking under there.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

bigbadbob76 wrote:Great so see it emerge into the light Mshaw. :ok
It's looking good and you know now there's nothing nasty lurking under there.

Thanks Bob

Easy stuff after painting. Interior electrics and trimming

Mark :ok

AndreasDahl
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by AndreasDahl »

Wow! awesome work!

This bus will live on :D :D